Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
manolan  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2017 16:01:10(UTC)
manolan

Hi All,

What's your thoughts on allowing a radio to be played at work. Our current Noise measurements range from 79.9 dB(A) to 87.1dB(A) (depending where it's being measuring on site) with the radio on, duration of exposure is approx' 7 hours. It is a mandatory hearing protection zone with 38 Injection moulding machines running.

I have implemented a maintenance program to reduce noise by installing pressure regulators / flow controllers, but left the radio on.

Leave radio to improve moral or remove ??????????? Thoughts please.

nick.wills01  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2017 07:06:33(UTC)
nick.wills01

Manolan,

As the radio is increasing the noise to a level above the EAV and maybe above the ELV (it has to be louder than machinery to be heard) it is increasing the risk of damage to employee's hearing. As a worker the moral boost of music is high and removing it would cause a short term drop in moral. 

For around the £30 mark you could supply ear defenders with a built in radio, each person could select thier own music based on taste and would increase moral as the company is seen to be worried about the employee's wellbeing. The cost is not to dissimilar to the price of a good quality ear defender anyway. It also removes the risk of 240v equipment on the factory floor and the cost of portable appliance testing.

It goes without saying that the use of the radio ear defenders would have to be risk assessed and controlls put in place to ensure that other safety critical warning sounds are not missed i.e. Fire alarms.

There are also ear defenders that have built in communications within them that may improve communication between management and staff. 

Something to think about!

thanks 1 user thanked nick.wills01 for this useful post.
manolan on 10/07/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2017 08:51:12(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I am not convinced that a radio, unless it is some sort of monster sound system can make that much difference to the noise levels in factory setting.  Remember the dB scale is logarithmic, so to increase the dB level by 3 (and a bit) requires you to double the noise level.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
watcher on 27/07/2017(UTC), manolan on 10/07/2020(UTC)
johnmurray  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2017 09:17:42(UTC)
johnmurray

Then there will be the inevitable arguments between those who prefer one station and not another.
Don't forget the payment to the performing rights society...
thanks 1 user thanked johnmurray for this useful post.
Invictus  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2017 09:48:22(UTC)
Invictus

Leave the radio on and let people enjoy it. As long as it is not interfering with work or accidents rates have gone up since the radio due to leack of concentration it's fine.

What would of heppened in an officer and a gentleman if the radio was turned off, the end wouldn't of been half as good.

thanks 2 users thanked Invictus for this useful post.
stuart46  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2017 09:59:21(UTC)
stuart46

You do need to consider the location of the radio/speakers. If the radio is close to one person but the volume has to be high to accomodate someone who is further away you could end up with one or more being affected more than others. I understand the morale issue but you are still responsible for noise levels as an employer. Take some measurements and act accordingly. It's ok being happy at work but I think I'd rather be a little less happy at work than lose my hearing, not to mention that those who want the radio would likely claim for damages to their hearing as you allowed it to go on in the first place. 

thanks 1 user thanked stuart46 for this useful post.
douglas.dick  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2017 14:41:32(UTC)
douglas.dick

I obviously differ from the others here and have recently faced this in my place of work. Noise levels must be kept below mandatory levels, regardless of it being an unwelcome noise or a welcome one. A claim can be raised by anyone and your test results will back it up, its simply illeagal to allow it.

Noise attenuating ear defenders will allow people to work safely, here conversations and alarms. I cannot see how replacing one noise with another is a good idea. Any shouts to get out the way, fire alarms, horns etc will simply be diluted.

For me its a no I am afraid, but then I am old and very very grumpy :)

thanks 1 user thanked douglas.dick for this useful post.
Stuart Smiles  
#8 Posted : 22 July 2017 16:54:05(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

could you put up plasterboard or similar walls to segregate machines in the room into say 4 different areas?

once segregated from one another, what could further reduce the noise within the machine or guarding?

Speaking to the HSE with reference to a crusher we had that was over ideal noise levels, we introduced conveyor belting and a noise cabin with matting and seperated from the main machine to reduce noise and vibration. 

Surely the manufacturers of the machines have specific ways of reducing the noise eminated from each, and newer designs and models will try to reduce the noise generated, would you be able to take insight from the newer designed machines and look to replicate some of the enhancements or replace old with new parts to reduce the noise per machine, at source. 

In terms of noise, reflections of the noise can be reduced by foam or similar materials, so if you can get inserts say behind, under, and sides of the main areas, could it be lowered? if you have discussions with the guys working on the machines, they will be able to suggest areas where you could improve them, also showing that you care. 

In addition, where there is noise, there is also vibration, so look for that too within your assessments of people. 

if you had the ability to get a lower noise level, below requirements, then perhaps you could re-address the radio, however the HSE will say as low as reasonably practicable, i.e. reduce sources of noise in the first place. they will also suggest a monitoring regieme for occupational health so that there are some records in terms of the individuals affected. 

Specsavers do independent noise assessments and you get the sheet if you pay them £10.00 when asking for an assessment.

On some sites it's really quite hard to find a low noise area to do the testing with occ health on site.

Links:

occ health buyer guide : http://www.hseni.gov.uk/purchasing_occupational_health_services.pdf 

noise: 

http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/index.htm

with reference to education of people, they refer to the hearing video:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/video/hearingvideo.htm 

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/resources/health-safety/videos/the-hearing-video 

thanks 2 users thanked Stuart Smiles for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/07/2017(UTC), manolan on 10/07/2020(UTC)
Stuart Smiles  
#9 Posted : 22 July 2017 17:40:22(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

in addition, how can you reduce the people's exposure to the environment, do the machines need constant attention or could they self load and clear? how have you evaluated people have to be there all the time, are there methods of replicating what they need to see or hear to check performance?   

could supervision be done with cameras, microphones for particular noises and recorded for re-play so reducing the liklihood of needing to be there to some inspection regieme and maintenance rather than all the time?

are there quiet areas that the guys could retreat to which could be better insulated if you can't do the machine room as easily so yo can reduce the noise in those areas too, perhaps with a radio in there rather than on the floor, although the radio will affect dosimeter records and the effect of the quiet room to the noise in the environment.

hse say ppe is for when everything else has failed, and as such it seems there could be lots of areas to go as far as possible. 

in addition there are plastic curtains avaialable - don't know if they would assist in reducing the travel and flow of noise waves in the room, perhaps also look at the walls for ideas as to how to lower reflections and or double glazed window units for observation,

try also to think in layers for insulation, like a jacket or heating system, could be multiple small layers are better than fewer ones with more insulation. 

as a suggestion, you may find a visual representation of the noise could help in testing - some of the microphones supplied come with mixing software and could setup a mic and computer then conduct tests with a visual reference point to make it more of an engineering challenge to your staff rather than a hse imposed problem.

They could then conduct tests with different materials you have to hand or available locally and or use the forming machines to create the ideal shape to the panel, material and coat it with expanding foam, then another similar layer glued together, then test impacts of different materials on the noise coming to the microphone as you attach to the areas on the machine? 

don't forget the feet, the floor and isolation of parts not needing to be attached, or that could be attached to the floor seperately. 

do you have vibraton meters similar to havi that could place on areas to see where vibrations are bad and you could reduce? 

thanks 2 users thanked Stuart Smiles for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/07/2017(UTC), manolan on 10/07/2020(UTC)
johnmurray  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2017 19:31:24(UTC)
johnmurray

chris42  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2017 08:20:59(UTC)
chris42

If you have the ability to measure the noise levels yourself, why not take readings with and without radio playing in strategic areas, and see what difference it makes.

If it makes no real difference then move on, if it does then possibly look at other controls as suggested. However, if you have problem machines then in order for the radio to be heard then it’s going to have to be loud.

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Bigmac1  
#12 Posted : 26 July 2017 19:16:05(UTC)
Bigmac1

And dont forget your licence to play music, and I am serious

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#13 Posted : 27 July 2017 08:41:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

And dont forget your licence to play music, and I am serious

These people are bandits. They define “public” performance very widely. In one case a supermarket, on Teesside I believe, was approached by them because the Tannoy announcer would sometimes sing on the PA system to entertain staff and shoppers.  In another they persuaded a police force to cough up thousands as the coppers might turn on their car radios and people on the street might hear the music making it a public performance. They once approach a spin-off company on a site where I worked and wanted to establish if staff were allowed radios at work. I said they could try to find out but pointed out that the site I worked on was a government run establishment with 20 foot electrified fence all the way around guarded 24/7 with a direct line to the police who not take kindly to anyone trying to gate-crash the site. They gave up.

Note they do not have a statutory right of entry, so if your workplace is not accessible to the general public they can’t come on and they can’t listen to the music, which you may or may not be playing.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
watcher  
#14 Posted : 27 July 2017 09:52:46(UTC)
watcher

I love how a simple question - radio or remove - has turned into a tutorial on how to measure noise :-)

thanks 1 user thanked watcher for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#15 Posted : 27 July 2017 11:47:56(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: watcher Go to Quoted Post

I love how a simple question - radio or remove - has turned into a tutorial on how to measure noise :-)

It's a wonder of this forum.

And I still can't see how a little radio significantly can add to the level of noise on a production line!

Hally  
#16 Posted : 31 July 2017 14:30:20(UTC)
Hally

You will probably find that the music will be turned up and up and up and up until they can hear it over their work machinery, which will then mean you will no doubt be well over the limits which could lead to issues with the HSE etc (from experience).

thanks 1 user thanked Hally for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#17 Posted : 31 July 2017 14:58:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What you really need to do is to find out what the individual contribution of each piece of equipment (and the bleeding radio!) is to the overall noise level. I suspect that unless the machines are all exactly the same model and exactly the same age and state of repair there will be considerable variation between them in the level of noise the create. Choose the noisiest and deal with them first. I doubt the radio makes much difference but at least you can turn it down!

manolan  
#18 Posted : 10 July 2020 12:13:49(UTC)
manolan

Many Thanks All for your valuable feedback. We have implemented new Injection moulding machines that are not only more energy efficient (Environmental improvement), but also a reduction in Dba levels.

In 2018 readings were taken on each individual production Cell with Radio Off and roof extraction fans Off. Readings were 84.6,83,84,82.3,77.4,81.2,79.5,82.3,75.7,83.3,84.1,84.9,84.3,82.9   Now

May 2020 With Radio ON (speakers on each cell) & Extraction fans on readings were 84.3,83.2,84.8,82.1,80.2,80.3,81.4,81.7,79.6,82.7,83.3,84.3,84.3,83.1

So very similar Now to 2018 and more IMM's.

From experiments with Radio off and Radio on there can be a 2Dba difference. So doing everything that is reasonably practicable by removing the Radio, could be a further reduction to support employees health and keep the enforcing authority happy.