Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sargeant23180  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2017 09:09:43(UTC)
Sargeant23180

I'm hoping that some one can confirm that the following is correct.

We have some water pump equipment which is 110volt Class 1 earthed, but the body of the machine is plastic with no point to clip on to for testing earth continuity, that would not require full strip down of the machine and the risk of damaging motor seals.  We have undertaken portable appliance test as far as is possible including insulation resistance and noted on the service records that no earth test can be undertaken and the reason why.

I feel that this is the best that can be done in this situation but would appreciate any input or ideas on this issue. 

Thanks in advance.

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2017 11:46:33(UTC)
Hsquared14

Try looking on here http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/  I think you will find what you are after.

NickH  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2017 15:56:29(UTC)
NickH

Originally Posted by: Sargeant23180 Go to Quoted Post

I'm hoping that some one can confirm that the following is correct.

We have some water pump equipment which is 110volt Class 1 earthed, but the body of the machine is plastic with no point to clip on to for testing earth continuity, that would not require full strip down of the machine and the risk of damaging motor seals.  We have undertaken portable appliance test as far as is possible including insulation resistance and noted on the service records that no earth test can be undertaken and the reason why.

I feel that this is the best that can be done in this situation but would appreciate any input or ideas on this issue. 

Thanks in advance.

As you have now found out; where a Class 1 plastic appliance is totally enclosed in plastic; it is not possible to carry out the Earth Continuity test, as there is no Earth Point to clip onto.

In this case, you simply need to complete the Insulation Resistance test when testing is carried out.  However; it is important to make appropriate notes as to why the earth Continuity test was not carried out.

Hope this helps.

Nick