Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stern  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2017 15:25:08(UTC)
Stern

Hi all,

I work for a medium sized contractor. I, along with all the management staff at the company are directly employed. However, all the guys doing the work on site are self-employed (CIS). 

I have recently been involved in a disagreement with a manager at a contractor i work for about the responsibility to provide PPE to them. His opinion is that they are self employed and therefore responsible.

My opinion is that as they are working "for" us, to our RA/MS, that we should be providing all relevant safety equipment which they need. I know that i am right (whole "master/servant relationship" thing) but i am struggling to find a good, solid source which i can email to the person in question (ie something from the HSE).

Anybody got any suggestions...?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by user 25 July 2017 15:32:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

olufsen1  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2017 16:03:21(UTC)
olufsen1

The must provide there own PPE that is required what the site rules are. END. But why not just charge them?

Stern  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2017 16:12:33(UTC)
Stern

With respect, i do not agree.

If we were to subcontract the work out, as a whole, to "Joe Bloggs Ltd" then they would of ocurse be responsible for providing PPE to their staff.

However this situation (which is very common) is not so cut and dry.

What i am talking about are individuals employed on a labour only basis. We supervise them, we prepare the RAMS etc, we instruct them what to do. They are employees in all but the way they are paid. The following extract is from the HSE supporting what i say, i'm just after something a little bit blunter and more to the point...

"Labour-only subcontracting is particularly common in the building and construction industry . In this situation, the main contractor engages the labour needed on a project by sub-contracting specific jobs to workers (sub-contractors). The legal status of such a worker depends on the normal application of the various criteria listed above. The courts have shown a willingness to overlook the fact that the worker is described as "self-employed", if the other factual circumstances actually point towards employment."

Another extract from healthyworkinglives.com...

The self-employed also have a duty to obtain and use the appropriate PPE wherever there is a risk to their health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled by alternative measures.

The only exception to this is for those who are classified as self-employed for tax reasons, but who otherwise work in an employee-employer relationship. In this case it will be for the employer to provide suitable PPE.

Edited by user 25 July 2017 16:14:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Stern  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2017 16:17:47(UTC)
Stern

Essentially, if we were the PC and we engaged a gang of self-employed bricklayers to work on site then yes, they would of course be responsible for providing their own PPE.

However, in this situation, the PC has come to our company to ask us to lay the bricks. We will prepare RAMS and send a directly employed supervisor to the site but the work will be undertaken by people, directly under his (our) control who are self employed. 

I hope that clarifies

boblewis  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2017 20:16:32(UTC)
boblewis

I think the tax man will disagree with you that they are self employed.  The interpretationof employee v self employed contractor is at the heart of a number of recent decisions by HMRI.  Your company determines hours of work, directs activities and materials used thus these people are employees.

Stuart Smiles  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2017 23:01:21(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

Look at judgements for Pimlico plumbers and uber for the direction of travel with the courts.
They are going to be workers.

Pimlico
https://www.theguardian....atus-in-gig-economy-case

Uber
https://www.theguardian....g-drivers-working-rights

You also owe them a duty of care under haswa so they need to have it if they haven't brought it with them to come to work.

Could refuse entry but that may delay project and hurt relationship where give and take seems best answer all round.

How about a swearbox for a drinking kitty as a middle of the road solution?

Thanks
Stuart
Stern  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2017 14:33:52(UTC)
Stern

Thanks for the replies everyone. As per my origninal post, i'm well aware that the guys need to be treated as employees, i was just looking for somewhere that spelt this it out in black & white that i could forward to the managers at my firm (as opposed to pointing them towards complex legal cases). In the time since my orignal post i came across these which seemed to get the message across...

Healthy Working Lives

The self-employed also have a duty to obtain and use the appropriate PPE wherever there is a risk to their health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled by alternative measures. The only exception to this is for those who are classified as self-employed for tax reasons, but who otherwise work in an employee-employer relationship. In this case it will be for the employer to provide suitable PPE.

Health & Safety Executive

Labour-only subcontracting is particularly common in the building and construction industry . In this situation, the contractor engages the labour needed on a project by sub-contracting specific jobs to workers (sub-contractors). The courts have shown a willingness to overlook the fact that the worker is described as "self-employed", if the other factual circumstances actually point towards employment.

Robert Gerard (Commercial insurance provider)

A labour only subcontractor is, as its name suggests, an individual or company supplying labour only, working under the direction and control of you as an employer who will take on the responsibility for risk assessments, method statements and provision of materials and equipment. As an employer you have a statutory duty under Health & Safety law to protect labour only subcontractors the same as you would PAYE employees.

Schemeserve (another insurer)

For the purposes of UK labour law; a labour-only sub-contractor is an employee. They do not provide their own materials and tools normally. They work under the direction of the contractor.

Stern  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2017 14:49:43(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: boblewis Go to Quoted Post

I think the tax man will disagree with you that they are self employed.  The interpretationof employee v self employed contractor is at the heart of a number of recent decisions by HMRI.  Your company determines hours of work, directs activities and materials used thus these people are employees.

Bob Lewis,

My understanding was that this would be determined by how long the person in question "works" for you?

For example, we have many guys who come and go as they please (a day here, a week there), floating between us and another half a dozen or so similar companies, as well as doing alot of their own work (domestic work etc). I would have thought that the taxman would be happy to consider these types of people self-employed?

The issue from a tax point of view, so far as i understand, is more for people working for the same company month after month, year after year, but still being paid (and treated) as if they are self-employed.

In any respect, from a H&S point of view i see no difference. If you are being employed as a labour only subcontractor (as opposed to as a bona fide subcontractor) then you are entitled to PPE, whether you work for your "employer" for a day or a year.

RayRapp  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2017 21:52:37(UTC)
RayRapp

It is my understanding the status of a worker is generally based on three principles - employment law, HMRI and health and safety law. With regards to the latter, a person's status will be based on the 'master/ servant' principle. I think the following link will explain the details better than I can.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/enforcementguide/investigation/status-contract.htm

johnmurray  
#10 Posted : 29 July 2017 08:13:50(UTC)
johnmurray

A handy web application for determining employment status from HMRC viewpoint.
Note that if they decide your self employed contractor is not so, they will then look at whether the choice was deliberate to avoid tax. If so, all parties will get hammered.
Whether you decide to provide PPE to all, irrespective of employment status, is up to you and your financial status. Just hope that you don't get HMRC looking at it!

https://www.gov.uk/guida...mployment-status-for-tax
sappery760  
#11 Posted : 30 July 2017 06:06:22(UTC)
sappery760

Additionally the most powerful day to day law we have [far more powerful than tax [including VAT] and H&S law] could easily apply - e.g. Social Security law; and it is the case that these self employed people could easily be seen as employees so the company could be made to pay back national insurance as has happened many times before [much case law re this area is in place] and SS law uses the "who controls who" factor to determin such situations

And at this time there are very strong moves [lead by banks and the pensions people] to get all ordinary UK people on the PAYE books and not to pay cash at any point especially to so called self employed people [many of which are forced to be self employed] - companies have been using this self employed angle for years so as not to have duties and liabilities but time is fast running out

whilst the above points may not seem a H&S issue all areas are connected - best of luck

firesafety101  
#12 Posted : 03 August 2017 10:03:53(UTC)
firesafety101

Do they attend site suitably dressed in PPE for their works?

If not turn them away, No Hat No Boots No Job.

RayRapp  
#13 Posted : 04 August 2017 08:26:15(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: firesafety101 Go to Quoted Post

Some firms operate this type of policy. The problem is that if the work needs to be done sending someone away is not much help. The alternative is to keep a stock of PPE to be used as and when. You could charge for the PPE of course, but really, how much would a hardt hat, hi-vis, glasses and gloves cost in the bigger picture?

Stern  
#14 Posted : 04 August 2017 13:21:45(UTC)
Stern

I think you have misunderstood the question.

We are not a PC dealing with contractors arriving on our sites without. We are a contractor whose "employees" happen to be self employed and therefore, as per the various links and posts above, we are responsible for providing them with PPE free of charge.

Stern  
#15 Posted : 04 August 2017 13:26:25(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post

Some firms operate this type of policy. The problem is that if the work needs to be done sending someone away is not much help. The alternative is to keep a stock of PPE to be used as and when. You could charge for the PPE of course, but really, how much would a hardt hat, hi-vis, glasses and gloves cost in the bigger picture?

RayRapp,

Correct, many principal contractors do operate this and make a healthy profit off selling PPE to companies who arrive on their sites without the correct PPE. 

As per my post above though, this is a different situation.

SteveL  
#16 Posted : 04 August 2017 16:13:00(UTC)
SteveL

Most "self employed" are for tax purposes only. If you provide supervision, dictate the work to be undertaken, and dictate hours of work then they are"self employed for tax purposes only". As such you control them so you protect them. The only other way is if you are using agency labour and even then your contract will require that you provide all required Health and Safety including PPE.

johnmurray  
#17 Posted : 05 August 2017 07:56:49(UTC)
johnmurray

"A Freedom of Information request by Unite has revealed that, in the past year, at least 1,076,000 construction workers were paid via the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), an 8% increase over twelve months. In total 47 per cent of the entire construction workforce is now paid via CIS the stand-alone tax system for construction workers who their employer classifies as self-employed"

"Employer classifies as self-employed"
In the search for the most apt oxymoron.......
Stuart Smiles  
#18 Posted : 07 August 2017 09:22:52(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

you could get ppe that is in an alternate shade for the purposes of use whilst on site - say high vis in neon pink, and hard hat the same, (both to differentiate and incentivise not coming to work without appropriate items). 

perhaps if such would be viewed as victimisation/blame, then write "loan" or courtesy equipment and stickered or marked appropriately, but the principal is there. 

ours said please return to weighbridge and a big "W" and a number on them, but were same colours. 

Edited by user 07 August 2017 09:52:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

hilary  
#19 Posted : 07 August 2017 09:53:21(UTC)
hilary

When we employ labour only contractors we ensure they have their own boots (which are universal and they will need at any job) but we provide everything else required for work on our site.  If they are long term contractors (over 6 months) we provide their shoes as well.

We find most people think this fair.