Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michellew  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2017 13:28:34(UTC)
Michellew

This isn't a strange fascination with toilets- I'm doing a bit of research into the health effects of not being able to use the toilet when you need to.

My question is about "facilities" - or lack of- for visiting drivers (vans, HGVs)

These drivers are often on the road all day and often get denied access to visit another company's toilets. Sometimes, overnight parking is a lay-by, not a service station. Or the facilities, where they do exist are unhygienic. I'm interested in the health effects of lack of or poor facilities, not taking breaks when you need to go and long-term health issues. Please get in touch - I respect your anonymity and really appreciate your comments. If you want to  message me privately send me an email - michelle@yoursafetyworks.co.uk

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2017 14:29:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2017 14:29:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2017 15:17:14(UTC)
Hsquared14

Instantly serious infection of the urinary tract comes to mind, happened to me once after having to sit on a very full bladder in a 3 hour traffic jam.  Alternatively a condition called "megacolon" (google it!) and piles - insanitary conditions can allow all sorts of nasties to spread like any of the hepatitis viruses, e coli, and a whole host of others too unpleasant to mention. 

chris.packham  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2017 15:51:43(UTC)
chris.packham

HSG136 A guide to workplace health and safety covers this:

127 When deliveries and collections are made, loading and unloading areas should: be in designated places, clear of passing traffic, pedestrians and other people who are not involved in loading or unloading; be clear of overhead power cables or pipework so there is no chance of fouling them, or of electricity jumping to ‘earth’ (arcing) through machinery, the load or people; be on firm, level ground, free from potholes and debris; have a safe area for drivers to wait that allows them to rest between driving shifts, especially if they may be waiting for several hours, with easy and safe access to toilet, washing and refreshment facilities and shelter in case of bad weather. 

Chris

johnmurray  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2017 05:48:28(UTC)
johnmurray

The place I am currently "working", part-time, does not allow drivers away from their vehicles. Not even to a toilet. "Security" Drivers have their own means of coping with this, for liquid waste, involving filling plastic bottles with said liquid waste. This waste is then "recycled" into a waste receptacle or ditch. This is a common, very common, means of relief. Solid waste is more difficult, but the same basic means of disposal is used. One of the drivers has his own bathing facility, involving the back of the trailer, a plastic bowl, soap, water and towel. If a layby has waste bins, they get filled with the waste from trucks/cars. If not, the ditch does. We then go onto basic physical security, for truck drivers who do not/can not (cost) use a dedicated truck area, called "circling the wagons". Truck drivers have their own preferred areas along the route chosen (lots of trucks are required to use defined routes) where other trucks park over their mandatory rest periods. For various reasons these are regarded as safer because there is always traffic through these Laybys/car parks.
biker1  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2017 09:15:01(UTC)
biker1

This is a subject that winds me up. I feel sorry for truck drivers, and any other people who by the nature of their job spend a lot of time without access to toilets. In my travelling consultancy days, I had many close calls, and getting stuck in traffic with a full bladder is a nightmare (one of the reasons I started using my motorbike for work). It is well known that people such as peripatetic nurses often suffer urinary infections due to not drinking sufficiently to avoid a toilet unavailability situation, and I would guess other people suffer likewise.

The shortage of public toilets is a national disgrace, and those that are provided are often shut after business hours. I consider it a basic human right to be able to use toilet facilities, and we shouldn't have to rely on the goodwill of pub landlords (or the local MacDonalds - we've all done it!) to get access to a toilet (I noticed on a recent trip to Dublin that it was common for bars to have a notice prohibiting the use of toilets to non-customers, but I can't say I noticed many public toilets, so presumably people in Ireland have cast iron bladders).

It would be an interesting study to find out the amount of infections, anxiety and stress caused by lack of access to toilets, and an area where stress reduction would be simple to address, unlike other causes.

David Bannister  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2017 15:43:56(UTC)
David Bannister

It pains me even now to recall a traffic jam on the M62. When I eventually reached the Birch Services I literally could not stand straight and hobbled in to the toilet. I vowed then that I would risk prosecution rather than suffer that pain again.

I have left my mark in several places since!

chris.packham  
#9 Posted : 02 August 2017 16:51:27(UTC)
chris.packham

There is currently a campaign to force employers to allow delivery drivers to access toilet facilities. It publishes a newsletter - TRUCKERS TOILETS. Contact point is: Gillian Kemp <gillian.kemp@NTLworld.com>

Chris

johnmurray  
#10 Posted : 02 August 2017 19:08:28(UTC)
johnmurray

http://www.unitetheunion.org/uploaded/documents/(JN7023)%20A4%20Time%20For%20a%20Loo%20Break%20Unite%20guidance11-23699.pdf
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 02 August 2017 21:13:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

So as we (iosh) are apparently on several campaign trails hows about a revision to the Welfare at Work Regs since these were specifically targeted at the employers, their premises and direct employees prior to concepts such as the GIG economy.

Old fashioned laws gave human kindness more concern e.g. a publican providing water to anyone of any age entering a licensed premises.

With the withdrawal of public conveniences by councils on cost grounds perhaps they should recognise those businesses who allow the odd non-paying visior a trip to the toilets with a rate reduction. In all my motorway travel (and despite most now charging for over 2 hour stops) I have never been prevented from enetring to sollely use the toilet facilities

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 02 August 2017 21:13:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

So as we (iosh) are apparently on several campaign trails hows about a revision to the Welfare at Work Regs since these were specifically targeted at the employers, their premises and direct employees prior to concepts such as the GIG economy.

Old fashioned laws gave human kindness more concern e.g. a publican providing water to anyone of any age entering a licensed premises.

With the withdrawal of public conveniences by councils on cost grounds perhaps they should recognise those businesses who allow the odd non-paying visior a trip to the toilets with a rate reduction. In all my motorway travel (and despite most now charging for over 2 hour stops) I have never been prevented from enetring to sollely use the toilet facilities

chris42  
#13 Posted : 03 August 2017 09:14:14(UTC)
chris42

There are conditions such as Crones or Ulcerative colitis where being prevented from going to the toilet can become very painful. The lack of public conveniences can be quite a problem, and even if you do locate one can you park anywhere near it.

I’m not sure people should be throwing human waste into ditches or general waste bins. Everywhere I go, I see signs up looking for HGV drivers, they will soon be able to command better conditions.

Treat people like animals and that is what you will get.

johnmurray  
#14 Posted : 03 August 2017 13:39:01(UTC)
johnmurray

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
So as we (iosh) are apparently on several campaign trails hows about a revision to the Welfare at Work Regs since these were specifically targeted at the employers, their premisesand direct employees prior to concepts such as the GIG economy.Old fashioned laws gave human kindness more concern e.g. a publican providing water to anyone of any age entering a licensed premises.With the withdrawal of public conveniences by councils on cost grounds perhaps they should recognise those businesses who allow the odd non-paying visior a trip to the toilets with a rate reduction. In all my motorway travel (and despite most now charging for over 2 hour stops) I have never been prevented from enetring to sollely use the toilet facilities
As long as there is one near, or within reach of rest-stop time. Quite a few drivers are given the routes to travel...variation is not allowed...deviation costs. And while we're on it, many trucks log everything, even when/where doors are opened. Large industrial estates are favoured overnight stops, along with some Laybys...
biker1  
#15 Posted : 03 August 2017 15:00:28(UTC)
biker1

I don't know if it is one of those myths, but I was on the understanding that there is still a carry-over from the days of stagecoachs and hackney cabs, in that you are allowed to urinate against the rear nearside wheel of your vehicle, although no doubt you would then be charged with exposing yourself and public decency issues.

I'm tempted, though......................