Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firesafety101  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2017 10:29:47(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi all,

There are duties placed on The Client, The Designer, The Principal Designer, The Principal Contractor for providing/collecting information for the H&S File.

The Contractor has no specific duties placed on them in relation to the health and safety file.

OK now then.  A recent contract began as notifiable and F10 drawn up and sent off to HSE, then it was decided the project was not notifiable and the F10 was withdrawn.

Initially a Principal Contractor was appointed and the CPP was written and submitted to the PD and approved.

My question here is - as the F10 was withdrawn and the project became non notifiable in my opinion the Principal Contractor was no longer the PC.  Therefore although they managed the project they were a "Contractor" and have no specific duties in relation to the H&S File.

Am I right.

The reason I pose this is Principal Designers or CDM advisers/consultants working for various Clients are asking for the "Contractor" to provide very comprehensive H&S Files that I think are not the duty of the contractor.  They want the contractor to carry out all responsibilities of a PC.

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2017 11:00:34(UTC)
RayRapp

As I understand your question I don't think you are correct for the following reasons:

A PC must be appointed by the Client - no appointment means the Client becomes the PC by default. A CPP must be prepared by the Contractor or the PC if there is more than one contractor...if a PC was appointed then unless the appointment has been rescinded the contractor must still be the PC, regardless of whether the project is Notifiable or not.

The H&S file is to be prepared by the PD and the PC must provide any information to allow the PD to prepare the H&S File.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 07/08/2017(UTC)
Rus1969  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2017 11:30:37(UTC)
Rus1969

I agree with Ray, the PC who was appointed before the F10 was withdrawn is still the PC, this does not change if the project was no longer deemed notifiable. The PC is to give relevant information to the PD in order for the H&S file to be completed, a task the PD often tries to get the PC to do all the donkey work on this. As long a PD is appointed (and earning good money) the PC takes a secondary role in producing the H&S file. I say make the PD work for the money, I'm seeing obscene quotes from compaines pertaining to be a PD, when in fact they do very little which add value to a project.

thanks 1 user thanked Rus1969 for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 07/08/2017(UTC)
Ron Hunter  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2017 11:40:28(UTC)
Ron Hunter

CDM 2015 is IMHO flawed when it comes to H&S File considerations - an error translated from the parent directive. In any event, the Client has ultimate responsibility. If he considers there's information likely to arise from this Project of relevance then he must take steps to ensure it's secured. He can do this via contract terms if necessary.