Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michaelb4ker  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2017 14:10:13(UTC)
Michaelb4ker

Hi all, 

If there are any freelance tutors out there, especially regarding delivery of  IOSH and CITB courses I would be interested in hearing your feedback on the following 

Are bookings typically made with you in advance, i.e. more than 6 weeks from the date of delivery, or more 'last minute' i.e. 6 weeks or less

Is your work mainly direct with clients, or through a third party e.g. a training provider

Do you have a formal contract with the client / provider

Are there any courses that prove especially popular

Regarding the above accredited courses, do you tend to deliver the whole course, or just specific days / subjects

I work for a training provider who have an employed tutorial team, and we are considering the use of more freelance tutors in the future. Any feedback from your experiences would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

freelance safety  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2017 10:57:30(UTC)
freelance safety

Hi Mike, 

I have my own consultancy practice and we deliver the courses you mention.

When conducting a group in-house course these are often booked about 4-6 weeks prior to the training event. These are done through a formal contract directly with each client.

As open courses go, these vary but the majority book quite late, sometimes just a few days before the training is due to take place.

The work I do is directly with clients and we only use CMIOSH for the training sessions who have real life experience (minimum 10 years) as opposed to some organisations who use ‘career trainers’. This is never sub-contracted out to third parties.

IOSH courses are a ‘hard-sell’ for quite a variety of reasons. The CSkills (CITB) 5 day SMSTS course is by far the most popular course.

I hope that’s answered everything, PM me if you need additional info.