Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paperback  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2017 11:19:17(UTC)
Paperback

Hi Guys,

I have recently joined a large corporate estate agency group who are active in all apsects of letting/facilities,surveying etc.

I have been asked for guidance on Landlord and Tenants responsibilities (we have both) in relation to for example the instalation of emergency lighting/fire alarm at a branch and would this mean that any people living above should also be connected to the alarm.

I am struggling to find good guidance and the HSE website mainly relates to gas safe practices?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Trev

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2017 11:36:10(UTC)
Hsquared14

Hi Paperback - it won't be on the HSE website because it isn't an HSE managed issue.  You need to consult other forms of guidance - try the Fire Protection Association, look also for a series of guides called LACORS which are local authority / chief fire officers guides.   Some issues should be covered in leases so you need to check those to but if we are talking Houses in Multiple Occupancy with commercial premises underneath then you need the fire officers guides.  There are loads of websites to check - I am a bit pushed for time at the moment but will PM possibly on Monday with some more detail.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Paperback on 11/08/2017(UTC)
Paperback  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2017 13:14:50(UTC)
Paperback

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Paperback - it won't be on the HSE website because it isn't an HSE managed issue.  You need to consult other forms of guidance - try the Fire Protection Association, look also for a series of guides called LACORS which are local authority / chief fire officers guides.   Some issues should be covered in leases so you need to check those to but if we are talking Houses in Multiple Occupancy with commercial premises underneath then you need the fire officers guides.  There are loads of websites to check - I am a bit pushed for time at the moment but will PM possibly on Monday with some more detail.

Thanks for that, that gives me somewhere to start.

aud  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2017 20:42:56(UTC)
aud

Start with these. There are also links to the Housing Health & Safety Rating System used by local authorities. 

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/landlord-responsibilities

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent

These set out the actual legal requirements, regardless of employment or business status.

If you are also an employer / in business there may be other aspects which overlap. Legionella is an example, you will note this topic is not mentioned in the above guidance.