Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patrick  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2017 11:05:39(UTC)
Patrick

Happy Friday all

I have recently started work with a new company. They are very focused on training which I am delighted with, nice to push an open door for a change.

But as per usual there is a down side, all training happens on Saturdays (outside normal working hours) & employees do not get paid for this. I am a big supporter of training being done during the normal working week, I have quoted The management of H&S at Work Regs, 13 - 3 (c) but has fallen on deaf ears.

Discuss please.

Patrick

Stern  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2017 11:12:59(UTC)
Stern

A previous company i used to work for did a lot of training on weekends buy used to pay the lads for the day. I'll be honest i'm not sure on the legality behind this but moral wise we'd have been looking at a revolt! 

Come to think of it, it could be argued that by making them train unpaid and in their own time you are not actually providing them with free training.

Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2017 11:16:06(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Illegal!! As you say Reg 13 (3) c

A call to the HSE might be worth making.

Stern  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2017 11:22:59(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Illegal!! As you say Reg 13 (3) c

A call to the HSE might be worth making.

Agreed. I hadn't even thought of the Management Regs, i was just thinking HASAWA. 

By paying the guys time and a ghalf to work on weekends we were in essence making it a working day (and they never minded the extra day's money). However, not paying them at all certainly couldn't be classed as a working day.

Ron Hunter  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2017 11:52:23(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Is this "health and safety" training in the context of MHSWR Reg13? i.e. does it address gaps in required competency as determined via appropriate risk assessment?

Is it mandatory?

Shopland23872  
#6 Posted : 19 August 2017 07:14:54(UTC)
Shopland23872

I have encountered a similar issue with a previous employer. Essential training must be done during the usual shift pattern on full pay. The only exceptions are as follows... If the training is not assessed as essential but requested by the employee and the employer has agreed to fund it, then the training can take place out of hours without pay. If the training is essential but not possible to do during the normal shift, for example people who usually work split shifts or nights then the training can take place out of normal working hours but the employee must be paid their usual shift wage. ACAS are the governing body that will be able to help you with this confirmation.
Patrick  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2017 07:47:43(UTC)
Patrick

The traiing has been identified as required in a risk assessment this is why I deem it to be essential training.

Thanks for thre advice, I'll go fight the good fight.

Patrick.