Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sgallacher27  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2017 22:25:47(UTC)
Sgallacher27

Good Evening All,

I have an unusual query however I'm sure someone on here will have the answer!

Our company are planning on installing a gym for employees free of charge which they can use out of hours or on their lunch break - everyone will receive a key fob to allow access to that part of the building only. The gym isn't operating as a business etc; it is just being installed as a benefit for employees.

My qustion is regarding the H&S responsibilities the company would have for this? My primary concern is health/injury related and the threat of Negligance being persued if anything was to happen to someone when using the gym. However, nobody using the gym will be 'at work' at the time and therefore most H&S legislation may not apply. It doesn't look like the gym will be supervised at any time either.

My initial ideas are carrying out inductions on the safe use of equipment (created by manufacturer's recommendations) and also implimenting a rule where nobody can use the gym alone, a minimum of two people must be present in case of emergencies. On top of this the equipment will be inspected periodically to ensure it is in safe condition.

Any advice you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.​​​​​​​

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2017 07:00:55(UTC)
RayRapp

Good morning

I agree with your comments and proposed controls. Assuming the users of the gym do it of their own volition and outside normal working hours then they are not at work. Any accident and subsequent claim for negligence would probably be subject to volenti non fit injuria (they took the risk knowingly).  

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Sgallacher27 on 30/08/2017(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2017 07:23:48(UTC)
Hsquared14

Most companies that have an employee gym also invest in having visits from a personal trainer to do the inductions and help the individual to develop a training plan that will increase fitness without risk of injury.  Generally they pay for a couple of hours per week and it seems like a good investment to me.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Invictus  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2017 07:37:14(UTC)
Invictus

Not sure that 'volenti non fit injuria' would be an arguement. The company would have to maintain the training equipment in line with manufacturers guidance.

Just because people are training in thier own time does not mean that if they are injured that's all that counts. I had this when working at the prison a prisoner hurt and taken to outside hospital he is a meber of the public on checking we did not have to report under RIDDOR unless it was a injury due to the failure of equipment. It wasn't he chopped the top of his finger off doing squats with a weight to heavy for him and chopped the finger off trying to land it again.

We did pay on claims that included the failure of equipment for employees, even though the training was voluntary.

thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
Xavier123  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2017 08:28:09(UTC)
Xavier123

I think the employee/non-employee at the time of exercise is a bit of a misnomer.  In your employ, not in your employ.  So what?  Operating the gym is now part of the parent business undertaking even if only an employee benefit.

There are risks, they need controls.  Frankly only becomes an issue when considering RIDDOR (and there is specific guidance out there about applying RIDDOR in leisure activities).

Fundamentally it comes down to a risk assessment based on what is in there and level of expected use (and their level of knowledge) and then implementing controls and checking that they're working as intended.  There is no clear HSE guidance in this field although the industry itself has a variety of informal standards.

So yeah, lone workout (double up, alarm call points etc.), equipment maintenance (manufacturer servicing on a regular schedule based upon use of equipment), instruction to users (induction or clear point of use information), monitoring (not necessarily supervision but going to need some level of checks to ensure that things are going the way you want them to - patrols/visits to see area kept tidy, machines in visually good order etc.), legal stuff (record keeping for services, clear disclaimer, liability acceptance for unsupervised exercise - check out the health committment statement for an example of how to proceed).

I actually think that workplace gyms are excellent (especially if made free to employees) and if well run, integrated and not the domain of an elite few, can contribute to significant workplace health improvements.

thanks 1 user thanked Xavier123 for this useful post.
RayRapp  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2017 08:28:40(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post

Not sure that 'volenti non fit injuria' would be an arguement. The company would have to maintain the training equipment in line with manufacturers guidance.

Just because people are training in thier own time does not mean that if they are injured that's all that counts. I had this when working at the prison a prisoner hurt and taken to outside hospital he is a meber of the public on checking we did not have to report under RIDDOR unless it was a injury due to the failure of equipment. It wasn't he chopped the top of his finger off doing squats with a weight to heavy for him and chopped the finger off trying to land it again.

We did pay on claims that included the failure of equipment for employees, even though the training was voluntary.

I did comment 'probably' and of course the individual circumstances would dictate whether there were grounds for a claim. However the OP has covered the use and maintenance of equipment in his opening post.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 30 August 2017 09:00:26(UTC)
A Kurdziel

This has been discussed on the forum in the dim and distant past but it boils down to what is reasonable. The company cannot wash its hands completely of what happens in the gym but it, I don’t think, can be held totally responsible for what goes on in the gym. Firstly any equipment that they install must be suitable for the sort of unsupervised training people will be carrying out. It will need to be maintained and someone will have to ensure that the gym is kept tidy and it is included in fire alarm and evacuation etc procedures. Beyond that how the gym user use the equipment is down to them. There is no compulsion to use it and so they are volunteers. They are also in charge of what they do. If they were to be injured that would be their problem not the employers, unless there was some fault that business was aware of and did nothing to correct. These “rules” need to be made clear to the gym users.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Invictus  
#8 Posted : 30 August 2017 09:16:02(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

This has been discussed on the forum in the dim and distant past but it boils down to what is reasonable. The company cannot wash its hands completely of what happens in the gym but it, I don’t think, can be held totally responsible for what goes on in the gym. Firstly any equipment that they install must be suitable for the sort of unsupervised training people will be carrying out. It will need to be maintained and someone will have to ensure that the gym is kept tidy and it is included in fire alarm and evacuation etc procedures. Beyond that how the gym user use the equipment is down to them. There is no compulsion to use it and so they are volunteers. They are also in charge of what they do. If they were to be injured that would be their problem not the employers, unless there was some fault that business was aware of and did nothing to correct. These “rules” need to be made clear to the gym users.

Not sure your right they would have the responsibilty of maitaining the equipment and therefore if the equipment failed then would be down to the company.

The poster has put will be maitained or inspected periodically, but he does not cover what period but it would have to be to at least manufacturers guidance and ore depending on how much use it has.

DavidGault  
#9 Posted : 30 August 2017 09:33:54(UTC)
DavidGault

I seem to remember employees suing employers over the use of a volleyball court in the late 1990s.  However, whether they can sue or not isn't really the point.  Consider the real likelihood of someone being injured (just a guess but probably very low) compared to the benfit.  It may be worth checking with gyms, GPs, A&E wards etc for what really goes on.  The fact that it is theorertically possible the business could be held responsible may not be a great reason not to do it in cases like this.  Sometimes it is better that the business just accepts the risk.

thanks 2 users thanked DavidGault for this useful post.
RayRapp on 30/08/2017(UTC), Sgallacher27 on 30/08/2017(UTC)
Invictus  
#10 Posted : 30 August 2017 09:58:16(UTC)
Invictus

No one is suggesting that they shouldn't have one I wish they would get one were I work as unfortunately when I get the gym it's packed and going home and then going out again doesn't suit me, I can't be bothered once in.

Never the less there are some out there who will use anything provided to gain sometime off work through supposed injury and if you have a system in place to inspect and maintain equipment it always has it's benefits.  Worked for us in the prison when employees got hurt.

Sgallacher27  
#11 Posted : 30 August 2017 11:55:12(UTC)
Sgallacher27

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses, it's greatly appreciated! It's great that some posters have had experience of similar scenarios in the past too. Obviously, my main concern is preventing injury and ill health arising from our employees using the gym and the last thing on my mind should be claims etc - but we all know how the world can be nowadays.

The gym itself will be relatively small - containing around 10 pieces of equipment. However, I plan to have a look at all the manufacturer's instructions which come with the equipment in order to compile some sort of easy to follow booklet which contains instructions on the safe use of all equipment in the gym. I am also thinking about processes for cleaning the equipment to reduce infection risks. The gym will form part of the main building so will include fire detection equipment and call points/emergency lighting etc.

The equipment maintenance/inspection part is slightly confusing however, I am unsure if it is sufficient for a competent employee to carry out checks on the equipoment (i.e. bolts are tight, belts are in good condition) and not the manufacturer themself as I can imagine they won't be cheap. I assume that if it was a functioning gym accessible to the public then manufacturer's inspections would by far be the preferred option but this is essentially a private gym inside a commercial property.

Xavier123, thanks for your response and I am currenly having a look into a health commitment statement. I have zero experience of H&S in gyms so this looks like a good place to start.

Thanks again everyone.

LeanneD  
#12 Posted : 30 August 2017 13:39:01(UTC)
LeanneD

i am a committee member of the staff gym where i work.  Our is not free to use, staff pay to join the gym which funds the purchasing of new equipment/tv licence/servicing/maintainence etc.

The way we work it is they have to join a specific sports council for insurance purposes and we make sure that all new members receive and sign for inductions conducted by competent staff who are also part of the committee.

Any issues with the building fabric or services to the room such as water/electricity are dealt with by the employers FM contractor but any defects or faults with the machinery are dealt with through the committee.  Similarly any injury that is reported to the committee is looked at to see what caused the injury.  If it relates to the building fabric etc then it is the employersresponsibility to investigate but it is treated as a non-work related injury, if it relates to the equipment used at the time then the committee deal woth the investigation and any claim that comes in will go through the sports council insurance.

thanks 2 users thanked LeanneD for this useful post.
DavidGault on 30/08/2017(UTC), Sgallacher27 on 05/09/2017(UTC)
KieranD  
#13 Posted : 05 September 2017 15:51:26(UTC)
KieranD

Sgallacher

As the proposed gym is apparently a concern of your employer, one of the design factors to include in your planning is compliance with The Equality Act 2010.  That is to say that the available equipment should be of  heights and weights compatible with the tallest male and smallest female users.

Ths relevant guidance is available in 'Ergonomics in Sports and Physical Activity' by T Reilly, Human Kinetics, 2010; it's available from Amazon online 

As you can understand, lack of provision for all users could lead to a bothersome claim which would turn out to be very expensive to redress after the gym has been designed and kitted out.

thanks 1 user thanked KieranD for this useful post.
Sgallacher27 on 05/09/2017(UTC)
Kate  
#14 Posted : 06 September 2017 11:36:09(UTC)
Kate

While I agree that employer's duties to employees don't apply here, I think the duties of a controller of premises (section 4 of HASAWA) would.  I'd say these duties are covered by what you've proposed.

JYoung  
#15 Posted : 05 October 2017 08:56:01(UTC)
JYoung

I would get them to complete an induction on the equipment so that they are aware of how to use it correctly, too many times people say they know but when you watch them use it they dont and likely to injure themselves.

Have worked as a fitness instructor and carried out inductions at a private firms gym (of similar size). They ensured that there was safety information on display and staff were required to complete a Health Questionnaire as well prior to being allowed to use the facility.

Employers still have a responsibility on the basis that they are providing the gym for their staff to use so would (like others have stated) need to check equipment or pay for the manufacturer to send a competent person to check and maintain (as part of rental agreement of equipment perhaps). If buying the equipment I would request the manufacturer/supplier sends someone who could go through the things to look for regarding wear and tear with a number of people that would be prepared to do it (daily, weekly, monthly checks). It will also need cleaning to ensure it works efficiently and correctly (minimises injury and failure of equipment).

As an instructor we would ensure the belts/chains were not damaged, cleaned, bolts tight, casing not cracked/damaged etc and any issues removed the equipement from use and reported to the technicain to come and fix (some things can be easy fix).

Brian Campbell  
#16 Posted : 07 October 2017 08:41:46(UTC)
Brian Campbell

We also have a small gym now on site, mostly for our ice hockey players but staff are allowed to use it if they have been given an induction on all the equipment.  The only other stipulation i made was that the amount of weights available for adding to bars and was limited.  I didnt want there to be an opportunity for anyone stupid enough to overload to much so theres only 100kg of plates available.  If you want to go heavier then go to a mainstream gym.