Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
biggins  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2017 16:22:33(UTC)
biggins

It is a while since I have had to deal with fixed electrical systems and switch rooms. Is there a requirement to display the Electricity at Work Regulations Poster? I know it used to be done and I note that they are still for sale so assume people still buy them, but is it a requirement? The switchroom I was in did have a First Aid poster for electric shock.

Thanks

johnwatt  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2017 08:21:59(UTC)
johnwatt

Nothing statutory as far as I am aware but HSR25 paragraph 224 states:

You should consider placing notices or placards giving details of emergency resuscitation procedures in the event of electric shock at those locations where people may be at greater risk of electric shock. Such places might include electrical test areas, substations and laboratories but, for resuscitation techniques to be effective, those required to exercise them must receive proper training and regular practice. The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 198111 make various requirements for the provision of suitably trained first-aiders at places of work

biggins  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2017 08:29:47(UTC)
biggins

Thanks John, we had that displayed. I don't see much point in displaying the Regulations, but wanted to be sure I hadn't missed something

johnwatt  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2017 08:40:19(UTC)
johnwatt

Yeah I'd agree. In my view only 'competant persons' should be allowed access to a switchroom and to be deemed competant you should already be familiar with the regs. 

And lets be honest, I'm not sure anybody would read a regs poster anyway... :)