Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GHughes1980  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2017 17:25:29(UTC)
GHughes1980

Sorry for another RIDDOR query. An apprentice has had a minor manual handling accident on site and has been signed off by a doctor for a weeks rest. He had the accident on Wednesday didn't come into work until Monday which was classroom work only and on the Monday we suggested that he go to the doctors as he looked like he was still struggling, which resulted in him going off sick for another week.

I feel that this is a RIDDOR because he didn't go back to work on the shop floor on the Monday and he only performed classroom work. I thought I would see what others views are.

Thank you.

Edited by user 21 September 2017 10:22:02(UTC)  | Reason: spelling mistake

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 20 September 2017 19:23:47(UTC)
Bigmac1

Your right its reportable

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
GHughes1980 on 21/09/2017(UTC)
DavidGault  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2017 10:15:13(UTC)
DavidGault

You are right, it is reportable.

thanks 1 user thanked DavidGault for this useful post.
GHughes1980 on 21/09/2017(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2017 11:17:04(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would say to report it - because of the circumstances.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
GHughes1980 on 25/09/2017(UTC)
Bazzer  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2017 15:40:37(UTC)
Bazzer

Yep reportable

thanks 1 user thanked Bazzer for this useful post.
Invictus  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2017 07:45:22(UTC)
Invictus

No not reportable

thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
GHughes1980  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2017 12:45:24(UTC)
GHughes1980

Hi Invictus

Interesting why don't you think it is reportable?

Xavier123  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2017 08:24:55(UTC)
Xavier123

I suspect he's trolling you somewhat owing to the sheer volume of RIDDOR requests recently. ;)

Having said that, I hear 'minor manual handling accident' and wonder whether you just mean injury?

Injury is not the same as accident - they are mutually exclusive issues.  Not all accidents lead to injury and not all injuries arise from accidents.  

Was there an actual accident (unintended event/action/incident) or did the apprentice injure themselves whilst undertaking a normal task that is appropriately designed and considered safe etc.?  So if the latter, then there is no accident.  If there is no accident, then there is no RIDDOR.  

This debate has been had here before in relation to picking up a box and hurting a back.  Is picking up a box an 'accident'?  

Invictus  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2017 08:46:56(UTC)
Invictus

I take exception to be accused of 'trolling' someone just because I cannot always get back on to the site to answer.

The reason behind it is Minor manual handling injuries are not reportable, a back twinge etc. also he went home and came back and you sent him home how do you know what has happened in the meantime. I personally wouldn't report it for the reasons above, but everyone to thier own. How long would you consider not reporting it, say he continued working for two weeks and then said he was suffering from an injury from two weeks earlier would you still report it?

jodieclark1510  
#10 Posted : 26 September 2017 09:04:24(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Without a bit more detail as to what occured I wouldn't want to say whether it was reportable or not.

If you could give a bit more information on what happened/ the circumstances it would help to give a bit more clarity.

Xavier123  
#11 Posted : 26 September 2017 09:36:19(UTC)
Xavier123

Originally Posted by: Xavier123 Go to Quoted Post

I suspect he's trolling you somewhat owing to the sheer volume of RIDDOR requests recently. ;)

Apologies.  I must make my winking face symbols bigger. ;)