Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
baal  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2017 11:04:52(UTC)
baal

Hi All

I am after some guidance on the use of containagens (generators inside ISO containers) fitted with integral base tanks. I am using containagens to provide power on our construction sites and have been told that due to recent changes in the flash point rating of diesel fuel - any diesel held within the containagen falls under DSEAR.....misting etc.

Can anyone provide me some clarity on this issue - next steps etc.

Thank you all in advance

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2017 11:51:17(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Diesel has always required a DSEAR assessment, all be it not being particularly high risk from the DSEAR point of view. As you point out, the risk of misting is probably the biggest risk, which shouldn't occur in practice, unless you have a high pressure/pin prick leak from a pipe or pressure vessel.

The Flashpoint remains well above ambient and the Auto ignition temp is high. A simple DSEAR assessment shouldn't take too long. Diesel is now class 3 flammable liquid, previously it was never classed as flammable.

If you have the generators inside a containers, ensure there is enough ventilation.

How does the generator draw in clean air for running the gernerators? Via an open door/louvre or via a inlet duct/pipe?

Likewise the exhaust gases - I assume they are vented by a proper exhaust to the outside of the container? Or released inside the container?

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2017 12:57:10(UTC)
Hsquared14

There are more implications to this than just a DSEAR assessment - yes you will need to do one but you will also need to ensure that the electrics are up to the standard demanded by the reclasssification of diesel, then there is signage, spillage potential when filling the tank and the requirements for preventing overfill and spillage control.   I'm in the process of initiating a project to install new diesel storage and distribution tanks for a logistics operation and I can tell you that the reclassification is not just a paper exercise you will need to do quite a bit of checking and research and potentially upgade your installations depending on its age and what needs to be upgraded.

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2017 13:41:46(UTC)
Ian Bell2

The electrics issue while relevant, is probably not that significant. Any hazardous area is likely to be very small. Therefore, just ensure there is no electical equipment is close to the generator. Presumably the generators are fairly new and meet relevant EU machiney directives?

Your DSEAR assessment should already consider the electrics, so its not an additional issue to consider.

baal  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2017 14:27:34(UTC)
baal

All our generators are less than four years old. Their electrics comply with relevant EU legislation. Clean air intake is through louvre air-intakes and exhaust gas is vented from an external exhaust pipe.