Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jennielouises  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2017 15:15:56(UTC)
jennielouises

My company is an AV/VC integrator and are often working on office fit out projects to install the end users AV equipment. We are not building or constructing anything, the most we would do is run cables, drill walls to put up TV's etc. Are we construction and therefore does CDM apply?

Shopland23872  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2017 18:43:44(UTC)
Shopland23872

It depends, you say that you are working on office fit out projects which I assume is part of a renovation / refurbishment or near the end of a new build? If you are part of any of the above then yes you will be classed as part of the construction project. But your type of work would be near the end of the project I assume, so there will already be a PC in place under CDM regs. Obviously feel free to correct me if any of my assumptions are incorrect and then I can offer more advice
Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2017 19:04:28(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Yes CDM does apply to you.

The definition of 'construction' is very wide in CDM and includes 'fitting out' and 'commissioning' - take your pick which applies to you.

In reality it should be pretty low risk work that you are doing, so as a contractor - so long as you supply requested method statements/ risk assessments - which you should do anyway, CDM shouldn't be a big influence on you.

jennielouises  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2017 10:34:21(UTC)
jennielouises

Thank you all for your replies. We are doing everything under CDM anyway, I just wanted to make sure I refer to it in the health and safety plan if it applied. I will do this now 

JohnW  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2017 12:24:10(UTC)
JohnW

Jennie, yes you as a sub-contractor, and I expect the principal contractor asks you pre-qual questions before hiring you. As an aside, if you work in older buildings make sure asbestos survey is available, and your employees should have Asbestos Awareness training and are equipped with FFP3 masks and baby wipes.
Alfasev  
#6 Posted : 29 September 2017 14:03:48(UTC)
Alfasev

For CDM to apply it has to be building, civil engineering or engineering construction work. This term are not defined in the regulations so you have to use your own judgement. In my opinion CDM would apply to most office fit outs but you would just be a contractor working under a Principal Contractor.

I would pick up on one point posted. Saying everything mentioned in regulation 2(a)-(e) is construction work is a misinterpretation of the regulations. Although poorly worded 2(a)-(e) is intended to spell out if any of these activities and tasks are associated with construction work (building, civil engineering or engineering construction work) or take place on a construction site CDM applies.

You cannot consider them in isolations as it throws up some ridiculous scenarios. For example if you consider the term “upkeep” “of a structure” and a structure is “any building” what is not covered by CDM?

Ian Bell2  
#7 Posted : 29 September 2017 23:44:06(UTC)
Ian Bell2

The current CDM regs are probably the worst h&s regs we have  - far too generic and wooley.

But I guess thats the problem, writing 1 set of regs to cover everything from a loft conversion to building a skyscraper and everthing in between,

CDM can be as much as you want them to be, once you have made the required PD/PC appointments.

2/10 for the HSE effort in re-writing the CDM regs.

jhoward  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2017 14:49:44(UTC)
jhoward

CDM also now applies to the events industry. The company i used to work for did AV installs for events and they now fall under CDM regs so either way i would say yes