Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
david cole  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2017 12:37:36(UTC)
david cole

I have just received a notice from a member of staff that the fire doors in their area are sticking. (Hinges) They have gone around and sprayed WD40 all over the hinges.  

Not being an expert in the make-up of WD40, what effect if any, will this have on the doors? Obviously for the hinges it's fine, but I am guessing that it is a flammable substance (I've not checked yet,) and they have been extremely liberal with it's application. (All over at least a quarter of the doors......)  

Any feedback gratefully received

JohnW  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2017 13:31:08(UTC)
JohnW

WD-40 is not really appropriate for hinges, should use a proper lubrication oil.

But in answer to your question - the flammable components evaporate very quickly so the hinges are not combustible.

But check any intumescent door seals which may have been damaged by the strong solvents in the WD-40

Edited by user 04 October 2017 13:39:57(UTC)  | Reason: additional comment added

douglas.dick  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2017 08:21:13(UTC)
douglas.dick

I would agree with John above. The solvent would evaporate quickly and would add that WD40 is not a lubricant, in fact its a de-greaser. So some light machine oil (3in1) or similar will achieve the results that are desired.

Spacedinvader  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2017 11:24:11(UTC)
Spacedinvader

It's actually a water dispenser (that's what WD stands for, 40 = 40th attempt) and penetrating oil (yes, a lubricant).  It's petroluim based so may affect the rubber seal, not sure what kind of rubber they're made of.  Doubt it's normal rubber though so therefore doubt WD40 is going to to anything bad.