Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
H and S 123  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2017 10:17:10(UTC)
H and S 123

Looking at the DSEAR assessment for a small bakery - is there a way of assessing whether flour is being suspended within its explosive limits without performing formal / quantifiable air sampling? 

Sadly, costs / budgets are a significant factor.

ShaunBaker91  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2017 11:21:19(UTC)
ShaunBaker91

Hi

I used to work as a chemical operative and have been in a similar senario with budgeting but trying to maintain a safe working environment, in the end I resorted to daily level checks on dust buildup in set locations using a ruler to ensure the cleaning rota in place was keeping dust build up to a minimum.

I suggest a low cost of measuring and recording, actions such as cleaning rota's and spill/leak control through adequate maintenance checks to minimise release of dust.

One of the major issues with dust cloud explosions are based on the uprising of settled dust and major secondary explosions.

Hope this helped a little.