Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Oliverp1  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2017 07:53:57(UTC)
Oliverp1

Summer is over and the complaining of employees being to hot in their PPE has stopped for now. For next summer I want to find some solutions to problems we've had this year.

When the employees work with chemicals on production they are required to wear white non permeable coverall suits. They are always complaining that they are too hot. I have seen these undervests you can put in the freezer or ice water and they say they can keep at 14C for up to 3 hours do these work? Anyone used these before?

The classic safety glasses fogging up. I have previously purchased anti fog spray but they say it never works. Do anti fogging glasses work? I have seen mesh glasses but working with liquid chemicals I have not considered them as an option.

Respirators fogging up. The lads on production have to clean the mixing vessel lid after a mix this requires them to be looking up with a respirator on. This is causing fogging on their respirators and after a while it then starts to drip on their faces. Is there a respirator that keeps a cool temperature? Or if these cool vests work that should stop them from sweating as much therefore preventing this uncomfortable experience for them.

Any advice guys?  

Edited by user 13 October 2017 07:54:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2017 08:48:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Glasses do not suit liquid chemical risks due to no face seal

I had found one manufacturer who attaches a soft rubber face seal but even these fog under exertion

Could you use airline fed systems or portable powered systems - the constant flow of air would keep the employees more comfortable 

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2017 08:48:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Glasses do not suit liquid chemical risks due to no face seal

I had found one manufacturer who attaches a soft rubber face seal but even these fog under exertion

Could you use airline fed systems or portable powered systems - the constant flow of air would keep the employees more comfortable 

andrewcl  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2017 13:40:47(UTC)
andrewcl

We have folks who do occasional airline suit work - the system we use is by Factair, and with the correct type of suit, cooling (or warming air) can be supplied to the arms and legs.

As roundtuit says, air fed respirators are also not a bad idea, as they not only give substantial APF (assigned protection factors) from being positive pressure, but also quite comfortable from the stand point of sweating and temperature.

The suits we use also have a system whereby you can wear an air fed inside the suit - handy for removing suits post-job, but maintaining the protection of the wearer.

chris.packham  
#5 Posted : 15 October 2017 09:56:39(UTC)
chris.packham

Air fed helmets also provide two additional benefits.

1. The do not need fit testing as they do not rely on a tight seal between skin and helmet.

2. They protect the whole head, not just part of the face. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen skin and systemic reactions due to airborne exposure of skin unprotected by face masks that do not cover the entire face. Note that evidence shows you can develop systemic effects from skin penetrants due to airborne exposure at levels below the WEL.

Chris

chris.packham  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2017 11:34:11(UTC)
chris.packham

With regard to cooling vests there is a paper in the latest Annals of Work Exposure and Health on this very topic. In the abstract they comment positively on a particular design of cooling vest being able to alleviate heat strain and prolong work duration.

Evaluating the Physiological and Perceptual Responses of Wearing a Newly Designed Coolin Vest for Construction Workers, Zho et al, Annals of Work Exposure and Health, 2017, Vol 61, no. 7, 883-901

Chris

hindsjohn  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2017 11:48:45(UTC)
hindsjohn

I am no expert on this but I have used these in the past http://www.mainmanshop.co.uk/ and they would be happy to give you some advice