Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ivorheadache  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2017 08:52:24(UTC)
ivorheadache

Hi. Not sure wheather to report this.

IP an employee arrives at company car park prior to work and trips on own feet resulting in a fracture knee cap (& off for more than 7 days). As this is an own fault accident is this RIDDOR reportable?

Thanks if anyone can advise

SW  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2017 09:06:53(UTC)
SW

Hi

My take on it - if it is their fault and there is no issue with lighting, slippery floor / poor ground conditions, they weren't carrying a load of boxes as a work instruction (For example)  and they were just unfortunate that they tripped over their own feet, then No I would not report it.

SW

Xavier123  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2017 09:17:40(UTC)
Xavier123

Howdy

From the sounds of it they were not at work therefore arguably treat as member of public.  Although likely a moot point (see below).

First test for RIDDOR - was there a work-related accident that led to injury?

The work-related aspect is key.  Tripped on own feet is almost certainly NOT work-related.  How did the employer contribute to this accident occurring?  The location of being at the workplace is irrelevant unless the condition of the employer car park (surface, lighting etc.) in some significant way contributed to the trip.  If they'd been 'at work' you could also look at the nature of the task they were undertaking but that's still a proverbial bar that needs clearing.   ;)

chris42  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2017 09:22:45(UTC)
chris42

If no defects in car park / walk route, lighting issue etc then not reportible. HSE give this as an exact example

sorry I had to wait 5 minutes before posting other beat me to it.

Edited by user 13 October 2017 09:25:08(UTC)  | Reason: time delay

Elfin Davy 09  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2017 09:58:39(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Hi

As others have alluded to, it's only "work related" if the work he was doing at the time made a "significant contribution" to the accident occurring (OR if the car park was deficient in any way - potholes, lighting, poorly maintened etc).  The fact that the incident occurred in the works car park (or even in the workplace for that matter) makes no difference unless it contributed to the accident.

Therefore, if he simply stumbled over his own feet, the accident is not RIDDOR reportable.

ivorheadache  
#6 Posted : 13 October 2017 10:05:48(UTC)
ivorheadache

Thanks guys. I've had a look at the car park and no significant issues. Just wanted your openions before discussing with the boss!

Have a great weeekend