Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alex2017  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2017 20:55:03(UTC)
Alex2017

Dear All,

One of my friends who is staying in private student accommodation in UK  getting annoyed with his neighbors  in same building as they slamming the door regularly  and caused loads of stress and depression for him, he already mentioned the issue to Accommodation Administration however  no action by them .. From health and Safety points , what actions are available for the student to rectify the issue?

Can a student look for breach of any specific health and safety regulation either my Accommodation Management or his neighbor ? What he can do in such situation to prevent involving in conflict from legal aspects?

Any advice highly appreciated

Alex

Stuart Smiles  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2017 21:12:19(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

perhaps look at the door closer on the top and get the make/model of it, download the manual and see if there is adjustment for the soft close on the door closer? 

on some there are 2 different screws on the top to adjust the "strength" of the closing mechanism on the top of the closer, and the final close on it. 

perhaps then take the manual and then ask them to adjust it appropriately so that it still performs the function required, without the associated slamming noise against the door frame.

then you have a softer way to complain and are coming to them with a solution rather than just a complaint,

also there could be a way to have some education, not directed at anyone particularly, which could also include consideration of others as part of it. 

worth a try rather than just a rant.  

Alex2017  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2017 21:27:54(UTC)
Alex2017

Stuart ,

They slamming the door deleibretly and door is equipped with the door closer (adjustment may required), as i heard they doing that by intention , 

Can the student go for legal actions like, If he decide to start civil proceedings and contact the Citizens Advice Bureau ?

georgiaredmayne  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2017 07:24:08(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Alex hi,

It would be down to the HSE/EHO to determine whether there are any breaches however I would suggest that this matter is discussed further rather than trying to point fingers in terms of legal breaches plus individuals cant prosecute under criminal law.

Perhaps he can have a face to face disucssion with the Admin office or the next department up to let them know what effect it is having on him or ask to be moved. It also wouldnt hurt discussing it with the individual who is making the noise and asking them politely to be a bit more quiet. 

Georgia

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2017 08:45:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I don’t really think that there is anything that you can do under H&S legislation or even under the statutory nuisance provisions of the Environment Act.  As to civil action, by the time he has his day in court, your son could have graduated. What you can do is of course is take advantage of social media tell everybody that will listen that student halls are poorly managed etc. There are loads of surveys on-line, both official ones and unofficial ones.  Universities are in competitive business and they are very aware of student feedback.

hilary  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2017 09:16:31(UTC)
hilary

I think he should move.  Although he has a contract, this is clearly not what he signed up for and if Admin are dragging their heels then perhaps he can drag his heels on paying the rent until this matter is sorted.  Admin will certainly be having words if his rent is not paid on time.