Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kevin Lagan  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2017 11:17:45(UTC)
Kevin Lagan

Hi,

Im doing a research project and wondered if anyone has any cases of how technology has been used to improve safety in organizations.

Areas of interest are in the power and processing sectors but all contributions welcomed. :

Hazard / / event reporting tools - APPs, tablets, barcode use

How the data is analyzed so as to push reports to those that need it.

Self-reporting technology (IoT)

Document access and management - intuitive systems - how people can access procedures / risk assessments

Work packs - pre-loaded materials on say iPad before a job commences

Getting rid of paper - how did you do it?

using electronic authorization methods for high risk work

Thumb print entry systems and records produced (to prove someone entered an area)

VR/AR in training / risk identification scenarios

Eyewear (google glasses)

Fatigue headwear

Incident investigation - how you standardized and the systems used.

Basically, anything that uses technology to improve. Love to know what’s great and what didn’t work so well.

Thanks

gpevans  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2017 12:18:32(UTC)
gpevans

I think I posted something similar recently but didn't get a reply. 

I've seen a few H&S management system programmes. My opinion is that they are overpriced and don't really cut the mustard as far as cost to performance goes.

I use SharePoint as a management system for a couple of clients. The Microsoft 365 package which has upped it's game recently to include some innovative programmes and apps. There is PowerBI which can visualise your data from excel spreadsheets to give broad management a high-level view.

As far as reporting goes and data collection. Microsft forms publish straight on completion to PowerBI.I use Safety Cultures iAuditor. The API capability means once a report is complete the data is instantly available on the PowerBI dashboard viewer. You are able to auto notify people if areas score or fall below a set benchmark. Each form/template can be saved to iPad desktops as hyperlinks, so the operator only has to open and complete the form, saves time and confusion around the right parts to fill in. After a few months of data recording, you can analyse the data and pick up on trends. Then look at mitigating the risks. 

I am currently reviewing applicants for a tech-based grant where inventors and tech startups are applying for money, specifically around H&S technology-based platforms. Everything from wearables/tech software, AR training modules, trackers the lot. Seen some great and not so great submissions. 

Happy to discuss any points further, drop me a message. I believe this is the future of H&S and anything to automate and improve mitigating risk and quality of data is a good thing.

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2017 12:27:45(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Hi,

We use a system called Green Road in our vehicles. The system monitors speeding, harsh breaking, cornering at speed and a few other things. The vehicles have Red, Amber and Green lights which can let the Driver know in real time how they are Driving. The Driver can also access all their own data via an APP so they can see how they are doing across a period of time (improving or getting worse). 

The Manager has access to all the Drivers data and can run reports against a target for the site or region. The premises is that the system acts as a nudge towards the drivers in a way that it effects their behaviour until the Driver starts to automatically drive safely. It has helped to reduce collisions and injuries.

tomdignan  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2017 11:25:43(UTC)
tomdignan

Hi

I have developed a Safety System in house using C# that we use on tablets for recording permits, safety checklists, audits etc and i find it really good and we have seen a huge reduction in paper use! So it has environmental benefits also.

Currently working on a Management PC version of it which holds COSHH registers etc. I would be willing to give this to a small company to trial as i am hoping to do some work on the side developing safety systems.