Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marshi  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2017 11:23:13(UTC)
marshi

The local authority I work for is forming a trading company (Local Authority Trading Company) which will be wholly owned by the Council. My question is do we need to register the company with the HSE? I know the registration requirement was removed from shops and factories in 2009 but I cant really find out anything about a wholy owned trading company under an already registered Local Council.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by user 17 October 2017 11:33:51(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling correction

Zyggy  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2017 19:52:07(UTC)
Zyggy

As in the title of your post, it was always the premises of the organisation that had to be registered, not the company itself. This requirement has now been removed, therefore no need to send an F9 to the HSE for factories or an OSR1 to the LA for offices, shops etc.
thanks 1 user thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
marshi on 18/10/2017(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2017 08:26:43(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

As per your own thoughts and Zyggy's previous reply, the need to register business premises is no more. 

However, there IS an exception to that rule, and that is where food is involved.  There is still a need to register with the Local Authority if you run a food business (which would include works canteens etc) and whilst I obviously don't know whether this applies to you, it maybe worth checking out just in case ?

Edited by user 18 October 2017 08:27:21(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling error