Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rick448  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2017 12:24:04(UTC)
rick448

I am considering attending the FPA Fire Risk assessors course as per the link below, and just wondered if anyone from here had already done this, and if so what are your thoughts?

http://www.thefpa.co.uk/training/training-courses_detail.c06-fire-risk-assessment.html

Thanks

Atkins30323  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2017 13:06:20(UTC)
Atkins30323

Rick,

attended this course recently in Glasgow. Worthwhile course if you have to carry out Fire Risk Assessments.

thanks 1 user thanked Atkins30323 for this useful post.
rick448 on 17/10/2017(UTC)
rick448  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2017 13:13:37(UTC)
rick448

Thank you, I have a fair bit of experience in the field, but there are a few things I would like to clarify. I figured that attending this course would allow me to do that, as well as receiving a recognised certificate. I'll be looking to complete this at Morton in Marsh is January. 

Invictus  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2017 06:58:17(UTC)
Invictus

I attended the NEBOSH course first and then attended this course some years later, on a personal note I preferred this course as not only did you site the test you also visited a youth hostel and had to carryout a risk assessment and then had I think 3 hours to write the report with recommendations. The set up is very good although I still find it ironic that the fire museum burnt down on this site a couple of years ago so instead of using the youth hostel for the practical maybe they should of used that.

thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
rick448 on 18/10/2017(UTC)
rick448  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2017 08:08:57(UTC)
rick448

Thanks, I have done the Nebosh GC and also the Fire Cert a couple of years ago, I am currently completing the Diploma but feel that I'd benefit from attending a practical course. I have over 30 years fire and rescue experience, bt this was mostly operational and training, and not in fire safety. My current role involves being responsible for the fire safety for my company, and as such I'd like to have something a bit extra. 

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2017 08:11:11(UTC)
Hsquared14

Good feedback, I'm considering this course myself and have only heard good things about it.

Invictus  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2017 09:28:21(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: rick448 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks, I have done the Nebosh GC and also the Fire Cert a couple of years ago, I am currently completing the Diploma but feel that I'd benefit from attending a practical course. I have over 30 years fire and rescue experience, bt this was mostly operational and training, and not in fire safety. My current role involves being responsible for the fire safety for my company, and as such I'd like to have something a bit extra. 

Rick given your background this is probably the course for you, when I attended there was a lot of operational fire fighters who where moving on who had realised they needed a little more understanding about the risk assessment process. I found that the training coupled with the input of the fire fighters invaluble. I went on to complete the Advanced fire safety management course with the FPA another good course.
thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
JNP  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2017 14:17:41(UTC)
JNP

Rick i have completed a couple of fire risk assessment course but found i needed more detail on the design of buildings escape routes etc. Have a look at C19 Fire Safety Design of Buildings. I completed this course this year and found it one of the best courses i have been on.

John

thanks 1 user thanked JNP for this useful post.
rick448  
#9 Posted : 18 October 2017 14:25:57(UTC)
rick448

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.