Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
anpedna  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2017 10:36:00(UTC)
anpedna

Hi to everybody,

Is there anybody here that has ever had to do with assessing the risk of the presence UxO and that might indicate some risk assessment methodology? I do not mean prospecting techniques, but the evaluation of the applicability criteria of the various solutions.

Thanks in advance.

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2017 11:14:56(UTC)
RayRapp

I had a brief encounter with UxOs on a project some years back. There was a possibility due to second world war there might be UxOs in the area, particularly soft areas where no construction work had taken place. A map was provided of so-called zones i.e. red zone being the most likely. Therefore if we did any excavating in a red zone we had to ensure we dug no more than one metre before the ground was scanned for potential UxOs.

These arrangements were put in place in advance of the of the project start date by the compnay providing the scanning services I believe.

MaxPayne  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2017 11:33:19(UTC)
MaxPayne

Reminds me of an incident I had on a large construction site nearly 30 years ago.  Groundworkers unearthed a UxO with steelworkers erecting over and around the find.  Site foreman asked me to build a plywood box around the device until the RN team arrived.  Nothing written down, but my risk assessement was pretty quick and involved a two word discussion with the foreman. 

Edited by user 18 October 2017 11:33:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MaxPayne for this useful post.
johnc on 18/10/2017(UTC)
SP900308  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2017 12:42:12(UTC)
SP900308

Hi, have you read through Ciria C681?

Simon

SNS  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2017 22:19:47(UTC)
SNS

Yes, in my previous military career I carried out these and EOD tasks (not many thankfully). Not recently though so the best bet is to contact one of the currently operating companies:

Brimstone uxo https://www.brimstoneuxo.com are one company, Bactec another http://www.bactec.com/unexploded-ordnance.htm - others are available and google is useful in this.

anpedna  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2017 06:50:53(UTC)
anpedna

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. A special thanks to Simon for the provided information.