Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NicoleJ15  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2017 12:35:19(UTC)
NicoleJ15

Hi,

Could I please recieve some advice from a H&S perspective on allowing employees to work off site when we dont usually have working offsite apart from our transport department and drivers. I work for a large multiple sited pharmaceutical distributor who export alot of stock for clients using export carriers to distribute over seas.

We run a large contract packing department who rework stock into different boxes for clients and then ship them out. I have been recently approached by management and asked if we can send a general picker and a supervsior out to an airport to check some of the stock which may have been packed wrong at my company originally as a one off task. The task will involve opening the boxes at the airport, counting the stock, weighing the boxes and re-taping them for shipment.

I have concerns as these two employees will be working off site for a job which is usally done on site and we never undertaken contract packing work off site. How do I stand with SSOW, Risk Assessments and Liability insurance? 

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated 

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2017 14:21:21(UTC)
A Kurdziel

From the insurance point of view it should not make any difference but just check with the insurer just in case.

From the risk assessment point of view I would create a new risk assessment as there might be additional hazards and you might not be in a position to manage the risks arising from those hazards, as you are not in control of those premises. For example will your guys be working in a warehouse? If so where?

• Will they be taking things in/out of air freight containers?

• Will they be clambering about the warehouse looking for the boxes or will the boxes be brought top them?

• Will they be based in an area separated from forklift trucks and the like?

• Are there any security implications where they will be working?

• Will they be allowed to carry knives (to open boxes) onto the airport?

• Will they have access to welfare facilities?

There are probably more questions to ask- just keep asking.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
NicoleJ15 on 18/10/2017(UTC)
NicoleJ15  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2017 14:32:14(UTC)
NicoleJ15

Thank you for this. I have never been party to an employee going off site to undertake a work activity before, apart from obviously my drivers so this is all new to me.

I will certainly ask all the right questions and I have requested that it doesnt go ahead until we are comfortable with a SSOW and R/A. 

Many thanks again for a push in the right direction. 

RayRapp  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2017 14:42:14(UTC)
RayRapp

Hi Nicole

I think most of the issues can be resolved by contacting the airport management and asking them what arrangements they will have for facilitating your personnel and their task. Important things like access arrangements, security, PPE, welfare facilities, etc, can be agreed prior to them rocking up on site. Once this information has been provided with an agreed safe system of work, you can then identify what control measures you need to put in placing including briefings and documentation.

NicoleJ15  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2017 14:49:05(UTC)
NicoleJ15

Thats a good idea. I would have to get the contact details from the client as they have arranged the freight forwarder on this occasion, however because we originally picked/packed the boxes, we are responsible for any discrepancies this side of the border.

I shall start asking questions and hopefully recieve the right answers. Thank you 

Bigmac1  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2017 14:22:43(UTC)
Bigmac1

Dont forget letting your insurance company know, and ensure you have public liability

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2017 14:58:49(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

Dont forget letting your insurance company know, and ensure you have public liability

Why wouldo they need public liability?

Hsquared14  
#8 Posted : 20 October 2017 12:23:32(UTC)
Hsquared14

Insurance companies will insist on EL and PL cover to include what is known as "Work Away" the PL cover is required in case any of the activity could adversely affect the working of the "host" location - damage to equipment, injury to their employees and potentially burning the place down.

Bigmac1  
#9 Posted : 20 October 2017 16:22:35(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

Why wouldo they need public liability?

Your joking right?

Public liability insurance protects you if clients or members of the public suffer personal injury or property damage because of your business. It can pay for the costs of subsequent legal expenses or compensation claims and is an integral cover for businesses that interact regularly with customers.