Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
philhalford  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2017 10:55:26(UTC)
philhalford

Ladies and Gents, I am about to join a company that does not have a certified HSE management system. The question is which standard to go for, 18001 is going to be phased out with the introduction of 45001 and the first draft of 45001 is going to be issued on the 27th November I am let to believe. Through a certification provider I have been told it will take 12 months to certify to 18001 so......there doesn’t see to be much point. However the company needs the management system in place as clients are requesting it, so I am sure you will understand my quandary. I don’t want to do a whole load of system development at additional cost just to change it all over to the new standard. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2017 11:25:14(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I thought it was the FINAL draft of ISO 45001 was being issued this month.

Whatever system you go for I would focus on getting the underlying basics right and leave the tweaks that will get you through your certification process until later. Your clients should understand that a) certification is not a magic charm that guarantees H&S b) it is not simply a question of filling a questionnaire and getting a certificate but an ongoing process.

rach108  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2017 12:50:48(UTC)
rach108

I have an excellent management system in place, but we have no certification. Could you say you are 'working towards' the 45001?  I know we were able to do that whilst working towards the 27001.  Admittedly we had signed up though.

thanks 1 user thanked rach108 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/11/2017(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2017 13:05:50(UTC)
Hsquared14

Having a management system in place that meets certification criteria doesn't necessarily mean that you have a good system in place.  The important thing is having a system that works for you and does what it needs to do to.  I'm writing a new system here but I am setting up the policies and procedures that we need now and then I will map everything to the standard later, that way I can get essential procedures in place as quickly as possible. At this stage of the game I wouldn't even look at 18001

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/11/2017(UTC)
philhalford  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2017 11:01:20(UTC)
philhalford

Thanks for the replies, the company is a service provider to the oil and gas industry and they insist on certification. I take your points about a system that works for us but and it is a big but, no one will look at us without certification
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2017 09:57:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

It will take at least six months to get the system up and running ( gap analysis, first audit, non- compliances sorted out, second audit etc)  whatever standard you work to.

JL  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2017 10:05:04(UTC)
JL

Our company has just gone through stage two audit for our 18001 and intend to do a short transition over to 45001 when it comes in (you'll have 3 years to transition once 45001 is implemented), we dont see having 18001 now as a waste of time or money (as long as your scope of works is right), the transition from 18001 certification to 45001 certification shoud be fairly quick and painless as you would be meeting the majority of the 45001 standard already.  

thanks 1 user thanked JL for this useful post.
georgiaredmayne on 06/11/2017(UTC)
philhalford  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2017 20:53:26(UTC)
philhalford

Hi James, thanks i think that answer the question for me, 18001 will be a good starting point, I just didn’t think there would be much point in wasting the money on it with 45001 coming in so soon
jontyjohnston  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2017 16:29:26(UTC)
jontyjohnston

James has the right of it. We have been certified to 18001 for many years now and the transition just takes a bit of prep and planning. I would go for 18001 now, get the structure right and imbeded in the organisation (sometimes the tricky bit) gain the experience and then take your time (3 years) to transition. The transition piece should be one additional audit day, I know thats the case as I am transiting to the ISO14001:2015 standard next month and our certification body has added one extra day.

philhalford  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:10:54(UTC)
philhalford

18001 it is then, many thanks for all your answers
toe  
#11 Posted : 26 November 2017 11:45:11(UTC)
toe

We have just signed up for another 3-year cycle for 18001, however we are striving to achieve the 45001 standard (or what I have seen of it so far) for example some of the significant changes are leadership and management review.

My advice would be to prepare for, and operate to, the 45001 standards but go for 18001 accreditation, that way your transition to 45001 when it finally arrives will be simple. IMHO the 45001 disagreements have been going on for far to long now, it’s about time it is ratified for implementation.

thanks 1 user thanked toe for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/11/2017(UTC)