Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
safetyamateur  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2017 15:48:42(UTC)
safetyamateur

We have a zebra crossing onsite which is used by the public/users of our healthcare facility.

Large vehicles have to reverse over this zebra crossing.

I don't think that the vehicles' mirrors/honking horns etc. really do the job.

Is there anything stronger than the feeling in my water that says "you need a banksman"? 

Thanks in advance 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2017 15:54:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2017 15:54:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

johnwatt  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2017 15:56:12(UTC)
johnwatt

The short answer is: A risk assessment and its resultant specified risk control measures. 

The HSE's Vehicle and Transport microsite is a useful source of information to help you with carrying this out. 

http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/index.htm

If I were carrying out said risk assessment, I'd tend to agree. Reversing over a zebra crossing does not sound too clever. 

DHM  
#5 Posted : 07 November 2017 16:15:13(UTC)
DHM

Reversing should be eliminated where this is practical to do so.

Can the crossing be moved so that the pedestrians do not go anywhere near the reversing vehicle?

thanks 1 user thanked DHM for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 08/11/2017(UTC)
safetyamateur  
#6 Posted : 08 November 2017 08:13:38(UTC)
safetyamateur

The water never lies. Thanks all.

Unlikely we can move the crossing or the area that the vehicle needs to get too. Even so, we need something now. I was wondering whether anything more than risk assessment existed that pointed to when  a banksman would be appropriate. 

Workplace Regs and DVLA's 'At A Glance' don't really go any further than 'separate vehicles and peds' and how a banksman should operate. I've been met with a bit of inertia on this one and need to get something done.

chris42  
#7 Posted : 08 November 2017 09:11:11(UTC)
chris42

http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/checklist/section5.htm

Steve e ashton  
#8 Posted : 08 November 2017 12:44:59(UTC)
Steve e ashton

This from 2015 may be relevant... Particularly second case? https://www.lawatwork.co...ace-transport-07-01-2015
andybz  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2017 12:54:20(UTC)
andybz

No sure I could think of a higher risk scenario in any setting than an HGV reversing over a defined pedestrian crossing at a heathcare facility. 

If you don't want a banksman to direct the HGV you will probably need two crossing patrol people to stop pedestrians from entering from either side of the crossing. 

safetyamateur  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2017 14:55:28(UTC)
safetyamateur

Thanks, all.

I think that's where I'm at, andybz. Two bods physically stopping people until the manoevre's done. More sophisticated controls can follow.

Really appreciate you all taking the time.  

NickRoarty  
#11 Posted : 08 November 2017 15:01:28(UTC)
NickRoarty

Could you not schedule the HGV vehicle movements (presumably deliveries) to take place out of the healthcare facility normal operational hours? 

safetyamateur  
#12 Posted : 08 November 2017 15:20:51(UTC)
safetyamateur

We're 24/7, NickRoarty. Also, very tied to our 'slot' with waste collection and supplies partners.

benek84  
#13 Posted : 15 November 2017 12:47:29(UTC)
benek84

Hi.Also consider speed ramp before zebra crossing. Relatively cheap solution.
Shopland23872  
#14 Posted : 15 November 2017 19:48:59(UTC)
Shopland23872

A competent banksman (sometimes also referred to as a vehicle marshal) is the only safe and practical way to solve your problem here, anything less would be too risky considering the environment.
SNS  
#15 Posted : 15 November 2017 23:15:14(UTC)
SNS

For an engineered solution could the crossing be fitted with gates? This would entail fencing too, or the temporary barriers such as used for airport queues? might save the cost of one operator

benek84  
#16 Posted : 16 November 2017 15:09:39(UTC)
benek84

Are you always aware of all vehicles coming to you? Dont know how the site looks like but we have banksmen in our place however dont have any control at gate hence some drivers just reverse without us knowing until they ring the bell at goods in..
safetyamateur  
#17 Posted : 17 November 2017 11:57:07(UTC)
safetyamateur

Thanks for the input since my last visit.

We've got staff acting as lollipoppersons (I need to trademark this jobtitle) in the short term, trained bankspersons to follow and, in time, an engineering solution will be in place. 

We know the vehicles which have to reverse at this point (all others can drive forward into and out of the space).

Thanks again