Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Davies36247  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2017 13:28:18(UTC)
Davies36247

Dear All

I have tricky one here, we are working on electric pylons & lines, about 300 & odd lines covering around 100 Km. We have sent in the & received the F10 which we all know is suposed to be demarcated with suitable/sufficient barriers. What I would like to know from this forums members is how they would go about complying with CDM & also being prcticable with its implimentations; things to take account of are:

Land owners, members of the public, roads, railway lines, offices, houses, quaries, theft,  the list is endless.

I have my thoughts on what to do & will share once I have looked at the forums thoughts. This would have been a great NEBOSH dip question don't you think! 

Centurion  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2017 08:58:02(UTC)
Centurion

A Construction Phase Plan should have been prepared covering all the foreseeable issues that you will encounter.

What is your Company’s Role?

Are you the Client, Principal Contractor or Contractor? ​​​​​​​

Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2017 09:47:12(UTC)
Ian Bell2

By the sound of it, he/they are contractors.

Your client and principal designer either together or indivicually should have put together pre construction information - about the design, proposed work etc - together with any information that may effect either the design or work obtained from the groups of people you mention.

Its not tricky - just follow a logical process. CDM is quite straightforward

Davies36247  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2017 12:55:57(UTC)
Davies36247

Dear Members

You obviously havnt read the question properly!

We are the PC & have an extensive CPP, what I would like to know is have any members had such a vast area under their F10 & what ways they controlled the areas practically. Please do not asume the company is not capable or we do not understand CDM in any way; this is a question for free thinkers who can think out-side the Box.

John

RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2017 13:42:05(UTC)
RayRapp

John

Don't get irate with the two previous responses. They are in my opinion valid questions which were not obvious from your original posting.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what is the point of your question. Are you looking for a discussion or a steer on some issues you may not have considered? The F10 can be for multiple sites as I recall, not worked in projects for a while.

Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2017 15:27:23(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Davies. Thanks for your considered respone. I wonder why people reply, if thats your response.

Your oringinally post wasn't particularly specific, gave little hint as to you status under CDM i.e. PC or your knowledge of CDM etc. Or if you were undertaking any ddesign activities.

Sorry no further help from me.

georgiaredmayne  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2017 18:26:39(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post
John Don't get irate with the two previous responses. They are in my opinion valid questions which were not obvious from your original posting. Meanwhile,I'm not sure what is the point of your question. Are you looking for adiscussion ora steer on some issues you may not have considered? The F10 can be for multiple sites as I recall, not worked in projects for a while.
Not anymore unfortunately Ray Schedule 1 requires the address of the construction site or precise description. There is no longer a tick box where you can click multiple sites. Frustrating when you have multiple sites.
RayRapp  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2017 20:23:51(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: georgiaredmayne Go to Quoted Post
John Don't get irate with the two previous responses. They are in my opinion valid questions which were not obvious from your original posting. Meanwhile,I'm not sure what is the point of your question. Are you looking for adiscussion ora steer on some issues you may not have considered? The F10 can be for multiple sites as I recall, not worked in projects for a while.
Not anymore unfortunately Ray Schedule 1 requires the address of the construction site or precise description. There is no longer a tick box where you can click multiple sites. Frustrating when you have multiple sites.

Georgia, it is my understanding you can still complete a F10 printable version which allows for multiple sites and for the address you identify the main site office. 

georgiaredmayne  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2017 22:47:04(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Originally Posted by: georgiaredmayne Go to Quoted Post
Georgia, it is my understanding you can still complete a F10printable version whichallows formultiple sites and for the address you identify the main site office.
Confirmed with the HSE a while back and they said it was not acceptable any longer - probably more conflicting info then!
James Robinson  
#10 Posted : 20 November 2017 10:47:52(UTC)
James Robinson

Read Reg 18(2) of CDM carefully. It is NOT an absolute duty to demarcate or fence - its assessment based - how do you fence off building a harbour wall?

In the case you refer to I would have thought a series of compounds - "base camps"would suffice. Overhead work away from base camps would not need any segregation. So signage on a fence/gate at the entry to the field, then a heras compound within the field around the plant, welfare, etc., type of thing.

Remember recent cases and protection from trespassers. I would ensure no matter what, when a site is unattended all access to the overheads is removed.

As for the F10, you could probably just then register the base camps.

Steve e ashton  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2017 11:13:46(UTC)
Steve e ashton

I led h&s and cdm for the client side on the beauly Denny project... See here https://www.ssen-transmi...k/projects/beauly-denny/ . The project risk register ran to over two thousand lines, was formally reviewed at least monthly and was rarely fully up to date. We had PCs for the access tracks, for forestry clearance, for the towers and for the substations. It was a single project with one F10, regularly updated and pro actively discussed facetoface with HSE. Innovation and lateral thinking were essential. Abiding memory is the helicopter operations, particularly when dismantled towers were being extracted, and the occasion when a stray district nurse somehow evaded or bypassed lookouts and managed to drive through just as the wire was being lifted. And the two lads taking impromptu zip slide when spacer chair wheel specs changed! Canal, rivers, roads, railways, aqueducts, reservoirs, dams, protected species inc ospreys nesting in towers and adders biting boots. Derrick lift plan that was utterly woeful and inadequate. Rearguard resistance to installation of permanent fall arrest wires on all towers, due to maintenance requirements. Plus many other issues. Every day a school day. Key issue was to be utterly certain I knew what the actual law said, and not try to apply generic solutions from guidance or acops which would have been impractical if not impossible.
thanks 1 user thanked Steve e ashton for this useful post.
grim72 on 21/11/2017(UTC)
watcher  
#12 Posted : 21 November 2017 10:48:19(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: Davies36247 Go to Quoted Post

Dear Members

You obviously havnt read the question properly!

We are the PC & have an extensive CPP, what I would like to know is have any members had such a vast area under their F10 & what ways they controlled the areas practically. Please do not asume the company is not capable or we do not understand CDM in any way; this is a question for free thinkers who can think out-side the Box.

John

I've read it, several times, and other than being a bit taken aback by the tone you use, I haven't a clue what you're actually asking

grim72  
#13 Posted : 21 November 2017 12:08:32(UTC)
grim72

Originally Posted by: Steve e ashton Go to Quoted Post
I led h&s and cdm for the client side on the beauly Denny project... See here https://www.ssen-transmi...k/projects/beauly-denny/ .

Great link Steve - absolutely fascinating - I dread to think of the complexities of such a project. Rather you than me lol I'm sure the original poster will be able to get some useful guidance from you

thanks 1 user thanked grim72 for this useful post.
Steve e ashton on 21/11/2017(UTC)
JohnW  
#14 Posted : 21 November 2017 15:25:23(UTC)
JohnW

I cannot understand what the original post is asking,and this sentence makes no sense to me
Originally Posted by: Davies36247 Go to Quoted Post
We have sent in the & received the F10 which we all know is suposed to be demarcated with suitable/sufficient barriers.
So I cannot read 'the question' properly or respond postively, and was very disappointed with the later reponse to members. Anyway looks like advice is coming in from someone in a similar industry, so I hope for a positive outcome for the poster.
thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
Steve e ashton on 21/11/2017(UTC)