Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stonecold  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2017 06:46:08(UTC)
stonecold

Hi,

Do you have to notify the HSE of the intention to use a mailroom x ray scanner (IR regs).

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some X ray equipment is exempt from the HSEs notification process. I have browsed the relevant ACOP and it does state that some apparatus is exempt from the notifciation process but it isnt that clear to me what that appartus actually is. (maybe im not looking hard enough). Does anyone have any experience with this?

David2010  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2017 12:52:09(UTC)
David2010

Hi stonecold No one else has replied, so here is my understanding. It depends upon the operating potential difference of the x-ray tube (kV) and the radiation leakage at a distance of 0.1m from any accessible surface of the machine. See IRR99 Schedule 1 section 1(e)(ii).

Note that IRR99 is being replaced by IRR17 on the 1st Jan 2018. The draft regs and ACoP are currently available on the HSE website. This may impact on you because HSE are introducing the "graded" approach to informing them, meaning there will be notification, registration and consent. I believe radiation generators (e.g. an x-ray machine) will fall into the middle one, registration". Any previous notifications made under IRR99 will have to be made again using a new online process under IRR17. There is a £25 fee for registration. "Consent" will be more like licensing to permit the operation. 

Whether IRR99 or IRR17, you need to at least check with an RPA and probably make provision for an RPA appointment for advice.

thanks 1 user thanked David2010 for this useful post.
georgiaredmayne on 04/12/2017(UTC)
georgiaredmayne  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2017 14:12:11(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

As mentioned above by David x-ray scanners will require registration with the HSE but as David rightly mentioned contact your RPA for advice and assistance.