Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paul Sultana  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2017 13:31:54(UTC)
Paul Sultana

I am looking to use survey monkey (or similar) to launch a employee-wide survey to measure:

1.  Satisfaction and effectiveness of our H&S Team

2.  Gauge the perceived H&S culture within our Organisation

Before I "reinvent the wheel", does anyone know of any industry question sets, or has successfully launched their own?

Any feedback or ideas would be gratefully received.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2017 14:28:14(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I had a go at this and found it difficult to come up with a survey that gave really good data. If you want to go beyond as simple survey you may want to bite the bullet and go and buy the Safety Climate Tool from HSL. It is more than a simple questionnaire. The questions asked are carefully worded and designed to elicit a response that genuinely measures the safety climate of an organisation. They are grouped into the following areas:

• Organisational Commitment.
  • Health and Safety oriented behaviours.
  • Health and Safety Trust.
  • Usability of procedures.
  • Engagement in health and Safety.
  • Peer group attitude.
  • Resources for health and safety.
  • Accident and Near miss reporting.

They are carefully mixed up and “disguised” so that gets people to give proper answers. There are about 50 questions in all.( when I created my own survey I had difficulty getting  half a dozen “killer” questions). The HSL also have access to various statistics that they can be used to benchmark a survey against.

I do not work for HSL or am I being paid any sort of fee by them; promise!

KieranD  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2017 19:36:08(UTC)
KieranD

Paul

A Kurziel has profiled the categories of organizational culture relevant to safety;  the issue is how are they linked to observable and measurable indicators that you will be able to explain to management and to workers at all levels.  Simply telling them what those who designed the HSE survey may well leave you and them with more questions than answers.

The underlying issue concerns the methodology you use in conducting a survey.  If you wish to learn what that involves, this is a well-written, well-researched guide:  'The Essence of Methodology', J Jonkers and M Penninck, Springer, 2010.  It's available at www.amazon.co.uk. Maybe you might ask a chartered occupational psychologist who's also a chartered safety and health practitioner for practical help if you need it.