Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Campbell  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2017 13:45:56(UTC)
Brian Campbell

Hi folks, we recently had a meeting with our insurers about the details which need to be recorded for accidnets involving public who visit our arena for various shows.  Witness statements came up and i would like your opinions if we are legally obliged to record these, as more often these are just acquintances of the injured party and they are just bolstering their case for a claim against us.  We do everything we can (so far as reasonably practicable) but alot of claims seem to pay out simply because we took down a witness statement along with the injured party statement! The other query i have is the insurers are asking us to change elements of our forms which is justifiable however should i be going the other way and asking them o produce a form for us to use which will help them and any solicitors fight any claims??

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2017 14:22:41(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When you take a witness statement you have to be careful what you ask. Basically most witness statements are about the facts and only the facts. The witness should be describing what they saw. They are not experts and should not be giving statements as to why they thought an accident might have happened or who was to blame.  If you suspect they are making it up, test them to see if their statement is consistent. For example get them to repeat the statement. You can also remind that if the matter goes to trial, they might be questioned in court by a barrister.

Why are the insurance company asking you do take these statements? Is there some reason or is it just a process that they follow blindly?

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
thunderchild on 28/11/2017(UTC), Brian Campbell on 28/11/2017(UTC), hilary on 29/11/2017(UTC)
thunderchild  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2017 15:28:49(UTC)
thunderchild

I have on my statements a legal declaration that states that the statement is true and the persons own words and that if need be the statement will be used in court.

It can make a difference to what people put, not always. If someone want to fib then they will.

thanks 1 user thanked thunderchild for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 28/11/2017(UTC)
Brian Campbell  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2017 15:39:55(UTC)
Brian Campbell

We have always had a section for witness statements on our forms (not sure where this originated from) so yes we do this blindly at the moment.  Our we legally obliged though to take statements by witnesses is what Im looking to know??

thunderchild  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2017 11:43:10(UTC)
thunderchild

I think if you don't take a witess statement when there are witnesses your insurers would want to know why?

Just my thought.

hilary  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2017 12:32:25(UTC)
hilary

Yes, you must have witness statements but these must keep to what the person observed, not what they think they observed or someone else told them later, or they dreamed about the night after .....

Basically, witness statements should be obtained within 24 hours of the accident/incident because the mind plays funny tricks on people and they can start to remember things that never actually happened. 

Act quickly.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2017 13:13:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Several years ago I sat through very good presentation by a barrister about witness statements. And one thing he disabused me of is the idea that the bit on the standard accident reporting form where the witness describes what happened is a witness statement.  If you investigating a serious incident that might end up in court you need to take a proper witness statement.

What I remember is the following:

1. You really need to interview the person face to face ( over the phone is possible)
  2. You need to ask questions and take notes
  3. The question needs to be about facts, not opinions unless the witness is an expert witness
  4. The witness must be aware that the notes could be used in court as evidence, and that they could be cross-examined about the notes.
  5. The must sign the notes and agree with them- no signature not valid notes.

See HSE guide to witness statements that their inspectors use- http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/enforcementguide/investigation/witness-witness.htm

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
SDJ on 08/12/2017(UTC)
Accidentia  
#8 Posted : 04 December 2017 16:20:05(UTC)
Accidentia

Brian

As far as I'm aware, no, you are not legally obliged to take statements from witnesses under any statute, regulation or code.  You may, however, be under a contractual obligation with your insurer to obtain information about an accident or incident.  By all means ask your insurers what types of information they expect you to gather, how much of it and in what format.

I gain the impression from your subsequent post that we are not talking about witness statements as such, merely a space on a reporting form where a brief summary of witnesses may have said can be recorded along with their names and contact details. Although these people may be acquainted with the injured party, it is still very important that as much information as possible is recorded at the time. It may be the only time either you or your insurers get an opportunity to quiz them before court and they may, inadvertently, spill the beans about reasons behind the accident (drink, drugs, tiredness, disability, lateness etc.) and that information can be very useful stuff for your insurers. 

Unfortunately, standard reporting forms are often woefully short on space in which to record all the information that a witness can or wants to provide.  I appreciate it can be a pain having to sit and record whatever story a witness happens to give, especially when you suspect they are merely backing-up their mate's piece of fiction, but as before, the recording of as much information as possible whilst it is still fresh can be invaluable. On the other hand, if you don't record this informtion, expect your insurers to be paying out rather more frequently.

That said, I echo A Kurdziel's five points about recording witness evidence.  Better still, time constraints permitting, prepare a full and proper witness statment that can be used in court.  Whilst the link is to HSE guidance for criminal prosecutions, if you are taking statements for use in defending (or pursuing) civil claims, such statements need to be in compliance with Practice Direction 32 of the Civil Procedure Rules, especially from paragraph 17 onwards. https://www.justice.gov....32/pd_part32#17.1.  As you will see, the requirements appear complex (although they rarely are in practice and I keep a Word template set up for this purpose) but I would recommend that formal witness statements are left to claims inspectors, liability adjusters and accident investigators who are well-versed in their compilation.  A timely and carefully compiled statement can be worth more than its weight in gold in any litigation.

Zyggy  
#9 Posted : 04 December 2017 16:46:18(UTC)
Zyggy

From past experience, the requirement for witness statements comes from an Insurer or Legal Department/Advisers. With "serious" incidents there is no question that adequate statements must be taken as soon as possible after the event. However, the problem is that even minor incidents can go on & follow the compensation route, therefore what is an employer to do - obtain witness statements for every incident? This is where it gets tricky with the Insurer & apart from the myriad of talents that a H&S professional must have, it seems that fortune telling is another one we must master!