Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Blue  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2017 13:38:39(UTC)
Blue

Fork lift truck trainers and manufacturers rightly advise against driving across a slope for obvious reasons.  I find it hard to imagine that every surface a fork lift truck is driven on is perfectly flat.  I know that trucks should be driven directly up/down the slope but also appreciate in the real world that there are /must be occasions where the advice is ignored.  Rather than ignore advice I want to know what angle constitues a slope (or where to find the information).  If I can find that information then I can place markings of where/where not to drive.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Oliverp1  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2017 14:03:34(UTC)
Oliverp1

A slope id defined as "a surface of which one end or side is at a higher level than another" There isnt a specific angle that would make it a slope. Unfortunatley it is open to interpretation. 

thanks 1 user thanked Oliverp1 for this useful post.
Blue on 29/11/2017(UTC)
Guinness_Alan  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2017 14:16:06(UTC)
Guinness_Alan

There is no definitive answer in this case. Different types and sizes of FLTs will have different tipping points. The load will also affect the tipping point of whatever FLT is carrying it.

thanks 1 user thanked Guinness_Alan for this useful post.
Blue on 29/11/2017(UTC)
Invictus  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2017 14:18:50(UTC)
Invictus

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l117.pdf  Page 24 gives you the answer ask the manufacturer.

thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
Blue on 29/11/2017(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2017 16:24:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The reason you do not drive across a slope is that you don’t really know at what angle you are attacking the slope, as slopes as you have mentioned are very rarely regular and it is very easy to just go over the tipping point without realising it.

Steve e ashton  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2017 11:12:36(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Manufacturers may be able to tell the absolute angle at which an umloaded static truck will topple. But the forces on a truck are dynamic, and much depends on speed, load and condition of the surface! It is possible to turn a truck over on a perfectly level surface if the speed, load, load height and turning moments exceed the trucks stability....