Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zurek554  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2017 10:38:20(UTC)
zurek554

Dear users,

I have recently received a good responses to my previous topic for which I am very grateful. 

This time I am looking for some support, guidance or templates for the following:

1. Routing and Scheduling Policy;

2. Vehicle Manoeuvring Policy;

3. Tyre and Fuel Management Policy;

4. Safe and Secure Loading Policy;

5. Drivers hours and working time Policy;

6. Engine Idling Policy;

7. Equipment theft and Unauthorised Access Policy;

We hold a lot of similar policies and procedures of which content is a part of our RAMS or SSOW and actually all of the above are included in our driver handbook (briefly) although we need to produce separate set of the above policies.

Anything is much appreciated. 

Best regards,

Kris

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2017 11:43:33(UTC)
Hsquared14

Hi I'm looking at all of these myself with our Transport Manager and we are in the process of rewriting our driver handbook. 

Routing - we do this using software that plans the most time and fuel efficient route - we don't have a separate policy on it but our driver handbook will explain how routes are planned.

Vehicle manoeuvring - Not sure what you are after - we have reversing alarms, no pedestrians in the the dock area rule and all walking routes out of vehicle routes

Tyre and fuel management - we have our own diesel tank, with Triscan monitoring which enables us to correlate fuel usage with planned routes and tacho readings, we have yellow tell tales on all wheel nuts which are checked before each trip, general tyre condition is part of the driver daily checks as per their CPC training, we also monitor tyre condition formally in line with mileage logs

Safe and secure loading - everything on pallets or in cages, pallet wrapping where appropriate, curtain sided vehicles with shock load retaining curtains as standard

Drivers hours and working time - as per driver hours regs and tacho regs - monitored weekly by our transport admin, routes and trips managed for each driver to keep within allowed hours

Engine idling - no idling with the driver not in the cab

Theft and access - dealt with by security but obviously theft = gross misconduct = dismissal

Info on CPC, Tacho and vehicle checks available on line - start with the DVSA

zurek554  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2017 08:26:17(UTC)
zurek554

#Hsquared14 

Thank you for your reply. Although we have all the arrangements in place and we are pretty well covered it was a FORS requirement. They’ve changed the standards and we had to produce various policies for each previously mentioned topics.

I have now completed all the policies & procedures and awaiting FORS auditor feedback.

If you need some help with any of policies please do let me know.

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2017 11:22:37(UTC)
Hsquared14

Hi Zurek - didn't see your earlier post so dived in with half the story, history of my life that one!!  I'd be interested to hear how you got on with FORS as I have just started looking at that.  We've had a bit of an hiatus in terms of management on some of these issues so we have a lot of unwritten rules and policies which we need to firm up and put into some sort of policy statement.  At the moment I'm looking at the expedient of wrapping a lot of things into the driver handbook and then having a blanket policy that refers to the rules in the handbook as representing the operating standard of the policy.  Possibly not what FORS is looking for but we need something on paper quickly!!  Any hints or tips would be gratefully received.