Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nsproston  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2017 12:48:50(UTC)
Nsproston

I am seeking advise as to whether you can or cannot wear gloves whilst using a lathe.

In our machine shop we have always banned the use of gloves whilst using the lathes but recently or occupational health department have completed a COSHH assesment and say that it is acceptable to wear thin nitrile gloves with a low rip factor whilst using the machine to protect against dermatitus.

Anybody able to confirm this as i cannot find anything anywhere to confirm using gloves is acceptable.

Thanks

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2017 13:49:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Interesting thought by OH - they do seem to have overlooked some issues with the task

1) The gloves need a decent level of resistance to lubricants, protection oils and cutting fluids (it is unlikely the operator would change them frequently enough)

2) Machining materials inveriably results in swarf and sharp edges (so easy tear gloves are going to be frequently punctured)

3) Even handling materials puts stretching and tearing strains on the glove (again affecting any protection offered)

To have a glove which protects against the substances of concern whilst being suitably flimsy to disintegrate in the event of entanglement are two opposing design requirements unlikely to be satisfied by one solution (but I stand willing to be corrected having personally never found anything suitable to date)

Operating lathes wearing gloves should remain on the "Do Not" list.

(captcha Cr8p)

Edited by user 02 December 2017 13:49:50(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2017 13:49:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Interesting thought by OH - they do seem to have overlooked some issues with the task

1) The gloves need a decent level of resistance to lubricants, protection oils and cutting fluids (it is unlikely the operator would change them frequently enough)

2) Machining materials inveriably results in swarf and sharp edges (so easy tear gloves are going to be frequently punctured)

3) Even handling materials puts stretching and tearing strains on the glove (again affecting any protection offered)

To have a glove which protects against the substances of concern whilst being suitably flimsy to disintegrate in the event of entanglement are two opposing design requirements unlikely to be satisfied by one solution (but I stand willing to be corrected having personally never found anything suitable to date)

Operating lathes wearing gloves should remain on the "Do Not" list.

(captcha Cr8p)

Edited by user 02 December 2017 13:49:50(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2017 16:55:49(UTC)
chris.packham

I doubt very much whether the thin gloves that would tear would meet the requirements of the EN374 standard for chemical protective gloves. For adequate protection the glove would need to be category III under current EN374 standard or ISO EN774-1/Type B under the standard that comes into being in 2018. To meet this standard would require a thicker nitrile glove that simply would not tear in the way you require.

Without first hand knowledge of exactly what happens during the machining that is your problem it is impossible to comment, except that I have seen situations where a similar problem existed and it was possible to find a solution that did not require gloves.

Furthermore, wearing gloves for extended periods represents a hazard to health, irrespective of the material the glove is manufactured from. This is because inside the glove the skin will become excessively moist. The popular view is that this is due to sweating inside the glove, but this is not strictly correct. A large part of the hyperhydration is caused by something called trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL). This is the water that we all lose continuously through our skin – up to 750ml each day for skin in good condition, more if skin is damaged. This can cause what is termed hydration dermatitis. If gloves are to be worn for long periods then the PPE regulations require that action is taken to prevent this.

If you need more on this PM me with your contact details.

Chris