Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dan_ellis  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2017 14:47:08(UTC)
dan_ellis

My company are about to start Construction on a large building project right next to a canal and also will be carrying out some work on the exisiting piling sheets in place. Does anyone have any experience, procedures or guidance they could let me have to assist in writing a Construction Phase Plan?

Thanks in advane

georgiaredmayne  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2017 14:56:43(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi Dan,

I would start with looking at what activities will be taking place on site i.e.:

- Access and egress of plant and equipment near the canal.

- Is there a possibility of segregating that area so that people cannot physically get to the canal?

- Emergency plans for people who end up in the canal but first prevention of this.

- Induction to incorporate the fact that the canal is their and all of the above!

Georgia

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2017 15:03:33(UTC)
RayRapp

Need to be extra vigilant if using plant and machinery adjacent to water. Chocks and/or barriers will need to be installed and if working in MEWPS normally you would not wear a harness.

HSE guidance which may give you a starter for 10 - http://www.hse.gov.uk/ports/falls.htm