Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SallyOD  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2017 17:47:20(UTC)
SallyOD

We have been trying to sort out a work at height solution for tall hedges, that can also handle uneven and sometimes soft ground. One product we have found  (manufacturers are well regarded within the horticultural industry), and have purchased is a tripod ladder.

On inspection concerned it states max 100kg max working load. I was intending on us purchasing the  professional tripod 150kg max load that the manufacturer 'suggests' is tested to EN131 trade. We  have spoken to manufacturers directly and they have confirmed that the Professional range are not tested to EN131 as there is no category for 3 legged ladders, however, they have had them tested to 150kg safe working load”.

Wondered on your views: are tripod ladders covered by EN131, if not is there an exemption as they seem the most suitable product for the task of pruning tall hedges?

grim72  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2017 11:02:25(UTC)
grim72

Have you been in touch with the Ladder Association for advice? https://ladderassociation.org.uk/ They might have some infomration/feedback - I did try searching "tripod" on their site but nothing came up.

JohnW  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2017 11:12:06(UTC)
JohnW

SallyOD,

I have a client who uses a particular ladder for a particular job, extends to just the right length for the job, telesecopic fold-up so they can put in car boot. These ladders are not EN131 but I have advised them that EN131 is not essential/mandatory for their work. We have inspected the ladder in use for stability and mechanical worthiness, locking mechanism is sturdy, all round satisfactory for the job, and our risk assessment has concluded that the ladder is suitabale for the job as long as users follow the training and use it as instructed.

thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
SallyOD on 06/12/2017(UTC)
SallyOD  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2017 17:40:01(UTC)
SallyOD

Thanks for the responses.  Always helpful to bounce thoughts around.   Appreciated.

Bigmac1  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2017 12:44:12(UTC)
Bigmac1

Its not the style of ladder that is accredited EN131, its its conformance.

There are tripod ladders that conform and I would not allow non-conforming ladders to be used, whatever the work