Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dean JT  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2017 10:56:49(UTC)
Dean JT

Hello, I am seeking a some guidance on the need to carry out a Workplace Risk Assessment on a person who has a Blood Borne Virus, I have reviewed INDG342 but would also appreciate any further knowledge from anyone who has had previous dealing with these sorts of Assessments.

The working environment is a manufacturing plant where I would need to consider the Risks in relation to himself, work colleagues and First Aiders.

Thanks in advance

safetyamateur  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2017 13:59:07(UTC)
safetyamateur

Dean, this doesn't sound right at all.

It's only other people that could be at risk from this person's BBV. Unless they're healthcare workers, I can't see what you're hoping to achieve. Even first-aiders in a non-healthcare setting should be practicing universal precautions.

LeanneD  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2017 14:21:01(UTC)
LeanneD

They are not obliged to discose their BBV staus and as an employer you are not allowed to disclose it without their permission.  By doing a personal rsk assessment on one person, are you at risk of 'outing' them?

What is the risk of cross contamination with anyone? 

Dean JT  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2017 14:21:34(UTC)
Dean JT

I was seeking advice on the Risk Assessment we are required to complete with the person who carries the BBV with the fact that the persons medical condition is very sensitive and must not be disclosed to his fellow workers etc without consent.

LeanneD  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2017 14:28:39(UTC)
LeanneD

Originally Posted by: Dean JT Go to Quoted Post

I was seeking advice on the Risk Assessment we are required to complete with the person who carries the BBV with the fact that the persons medical condition is very sensitive and must not be disclosed to his fellow workers etc without consent.

Why do you feel you need more than you already have?  First aiders are trained to deal with any open wounds and there have been no reported cases of HIV or HBV being transmitted through mouth to mouth etc.What is the likelihood of them injuring themselves and creating open wounds?

lorna  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2017 08:33:57(UTC)
lorna

Having worked in social care, (including substance misuse) and prisons, I have never seen anyone complete a risk assessment on a person with a BBV - it was just assumed that they all might have one and suitable precautions were taken. 

If you're going to single somebody out for any health condition, why not just hand him/her a bell and ask them to shout "unclean"? In my opinion, absolutlely no jutification for either!

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
toe on 27/12/2017(UTC)
stevedm  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2017 09:38:04(UTC)
stevedm

Dean...sounds like you just need to update your first aiders risk assessment based on this 'new' information that you have come across....