Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarkJordan  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2017 14:48:21(UTC)
MarkJordan

I have a subcontractor quoting me 2 options to weather paint protect our metal roof. One option is to use the scaffold option to gain access with toe boards around the perimeter etc. and the second option (cost cheaper) to use a MEWP to gain access and use Mansafe Wire, Lanyard & Full Body Harness. My landlord wants to go with cheaper option. What should I be considering/doing to satisfy myself that this option is indeed safe & a viable alternative. Appreciate your feedback.

SNS  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2017 23:00:50(UTC)
SNS

The challenge is that the regulations require the work to be done in a way which prevents falls as the prime control, full scaffolding will do that.

MEWP and harness only mitigate the effects of a fall and potentially leave someone hanging in a harness until rescued - which should be done through an internal immediate rescue team, not relying on 999 services.

Bigmac1  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2017 12:04:35(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: SNS Go to Quoted Post

The challenge is that the regulations require the work to be done in a way which prevents falls as the prime control, full scaffolding will do that.

MEWP and harness only mitigate the effects of a fall and potentially leave someone hanging in a harness until rescued - which should be done through an internal immediate rescue team, not relying on 999 services.

What about the scaffolders who have to build it.

Fall restraint wont leave you hanging either.

SNS  
#4 Posted : 10 December 2017 16:45:48(UTC)
SNS

Bigmac1,

If its built following the industry guidance free at: https://www.nasc.org.uk/...ng-falls-in-scaffolding/  scaffolders won't be able to fall.

The OP didn't specify restraint or arrest lanyards so it's a terminology point on which is used. As you say, restraint won't leave you hanging as, used properly, the operator can't reach a fall point. Unfortunately in an apparent effort to do more work I have seen lanyards in use which would allow a fall and a hard stop.

Blackburn31728  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2017 13:15:13(UTC)
Blackburn31728

You can not get out of a MEWP unless in emergency situation even with running lines etc a scaffold is the only safe way 

Bigmac1  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2017 15:54:20(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: Blackburn31728 Go to Quoted Post

You can not get out of a MEWP unless in emergency situation even with running lines etc a scaffold is the only safe way 

Good point I missed the running line bit, why not just install edge protection

olufsen1  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2017 16:55:03(UTC)
olufsen1

Originally Posted by: Blackburn31728 Go to Quoted Post

You can not get out of a MEWP unless in emergency situation even with running lines etc a scaffold is the only safe way.

Sorry but you are wrong, Exiting a MEWP is perfectly allowed. I suggest you look at IPAF exiting a MEWP at Height on their Website. 

thanks 1 user thanked olufsen1 for this useful post.
webstar on 15/12/2017(UTC)