Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hopeful  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2017 11:15:34(UTC)
hopeful

Good morning

We are currently establishing a new H&S Committee. The organisation is nationwide and quite complex so we will be looking to establish a structure of consultation and committees in the future but in the meantime we need to establish a committee. We have a number of people to be on the committee and the enthusiasm is great and we want to harness this. However their knowledge of what is required and actual H&S is varied and limited in places. Does anyone have an engaging document that would be good to share with the members to highlight the purpose and role of the committee that they can point me towards.

Thank you in advance

KEITH ROWSON  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2017 18:26:05(UTC)
KEITH ROWSON

Good evening , In one of my former positions I was a Union H&S Rep and we set up a H&S Committee. There is an approved code of practice L 146 which took over from a document called the Brown Book which is very helpful in this regard. It gives guidance on the SRSC Regs 1977 and gives clear advice on committees. This can be found in Regulstion 9. If you can get a good balance of representatives from the workforce and management it really helps, and try and get at least one senior manager to be part of the committee to show the workforce that it is being recognised seriously, and a member from HR. If there are union members on the committee they are entitled to reasonable time off and free training so they understand their function. However it makes sense that all committee members receive at least a basic level of H&S training so they can give effective input. The biggest learning curve that we got from it was you must make sure it does not become a 'moaning session' and a battle between the workforce and the employer. Set out an understanding that the committee is there to benefit all, and if some questions are uncomfortable it should not become a point scoring session, it should be so problems can be identified and measures implemented to prevent ill health or injury. It can be such a positive tool and can so help form a good H&S culture, however it can also be counterproductive if it becomes a battle. Be open minded and positive and it will benefit both employee and employer. Hope this helps.
georgiaredmayne  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2017 20:43:57(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi, I am happy to share some terms of reference for a H&S committee we set up in my previous role if that helps? Pm me with your email if you would like them. Kind regards Georgia
Ellis  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2017 13:37:33(UTC)
Ellis

Please be aware that if your company recognises a trade union then your reps and the requirements for committee meetings will fall under the SRSC regs.

If your company does not recognise a trade union then the legislation you will need to consult is the Health & Safety Consultation with Employees regulations.

Union appointed reps have more entitlements than workplace apponted reps known as ROES.