Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rickstefanetti84  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2017 09:13:53(UTC)
rickstefanetti84

Morning!!  

Yesterday afternoon an employee slipped in our staff car park on a patch of ice and is at work today but is stating she now has a  bad back. We had the car park gritted twice yesterday by an outside contractor, with the second layer of grit being spread around mid afternoon so it was gritted as much as possible before employees left off work around 4/5pm.

Obviously we dont want anyone to be harmed, hence why it was gritted twice during the day instead of once, but my main query is A) would you consider this a workplace accident as it happened when the employee was walking to their car at the end of the day and B) Would you record this incident as an internal accident?

Thanks in advance.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2017 09:17:36(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Answers a) probably and b)definitely

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
webstar on 13/12/2017(UTC)
Oliverp1  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2017 09:36:18(UTC)
Oliverp1

A Kurdziel's answers are the same as mine. You have gritted so you have clearly thought about the issue but it hasnt worked perhaps the accident investigation will allow you to find better control measures. I dont know what your car park is like but for ours instead of trying to grit the whole area lightly we gritted clear walkpaths quite heavily. 

rickstefanetti84  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2017 09:59:19(UTC)
rickstefanetti84

Thank you both for your replys.

We have loked in to this and have identified areas that are more prone to ice than others so have sent a site plan to the gritting contractor identifying the higher risk areas so they can put a thicker layer of grit down.

I like the idea of having grit paths too, good idea!

thanks again.

RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2017 10:51:49(UTC)
RayRapp

There is nothing wrong with reviewing what has been done to see if improvements can be made. That said, if you have done what is 'reasonably practicable' to mitigate the risks of precipitation then it's a case of job done.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
rickstefanetti84 on 13/12/2017(UTC)