Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Martin#1  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2017 16:05:48(UTC)
Martin#1

If you are to use an HSEQ Integrated Management System that meets, 9001, 14001 & 18001 and wanted to include in deapth documented company procedures on things like driving procedures, first aid procedures, etc.. that are applicable to the business would they fall under section 4.4.6 of 18001 ?

We have been given a suggested framework for an HSEQ Integrated Management System that looks really good but I just can't see where within it we'd incorporate the current procedures that we have in place.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated, I can't seem to see the wood for the trees just now!!!

Martin

chris42  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2017 16:24:42(UTC)
chris42

Depends what they are for ie

driving procedures, 4.4.6

first aid procedures 4.4.7

IMHO

General work related controls then 4.4.6 unless they are applicable to any of the other clauses, but also depends how this system you have is set up. I never worried about which clause each came under I had documents / instruction / procedures which were either safety, Env or QA related which only had the effect of giving them a slightly different ref number, but all in the one place. I had however designed my own electronic system which integrated the three standards.

Chris

chris42  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2017 16:28:13(UTC)
chris42

PS also had some "System Documents / procedures"

Martin#1  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2017 16:49:40(UTC)
Martin#1

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Depends what they are for ie

driving procedures, 4.4.6

first aid procedures 4.4.7

IMHO

General work related controls then 4.4.6 unless they are applicable to any of the other clauses, but also depends how this system you have is set up. I never worried about which clause each came under I had documents / instruction / procedures which were either safety, Env or QA related which only had the effect of giving them a slightly different ref number, but all in the one place. I had however designed my own electronic system which integrated the three standards.

Chris

Thanks for posting Chris :-)

when you say general work related controls do you mean policies and procedures on things like

electricity at work, working at height, lifting operations etc... we have H&S general procedures for these and we also have safe operating manuals for specific work tasks and the use of equipment.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2017 09:22:18(UTC)
chris42

yes

Also see pm

Brian Campbell  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2017 14:28:34(UTC)
Brian Campbell

We are certified to 18001 and we dont worry about the actual clause numbers in our document, thats for the external auditors to know.  They should be familiar with your system enough to know you have all the relevant information there and if they say you need the clause numbers in then to me thats just making life easy for them.  As long as you know where the relevent information is and can show them that then its your system put it where suits you!!!  We have Company Procedures and Integrated procedures.  CP's are policies with in the main body of the H&S system i.e. CDM Regulations Policy.  IP's are more like actual flow charts which show specific instructions as to hoew to do a certain task, i.e. Staff Induction Training.

Only time i reference clause numbers is when doing internal audits!

thanks 1 user thanked Brian Campbell for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/12/2017(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2017 13:08:37(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would put most under the heading of 4.4.6 - Operational Control, you might want to put first aid under Emergency Preparedness but that is your decision to make depending on what fits better for your organisation.  When it comes to mapping your documents to the standard I have to say that having a master map does help the auditor to check that you haven't missed anything, it also shows that you understand the philosophy of the standard and most importantly it really helps the system manager to update and maintain the system adequately.  You don't have to reference the clause in each document but a having a separate document map akin to the site map for a website can make life much easier when you need to change anything and if you do put it on an intranet it will make that process much easier.  Here I speak from the heartsinking standpoint of having been an 18001 auditor since the standard was introduced - OMG I really can't be THAT OLD!!!