Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SimonJMills  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2017 14:17:26(UTC)
SimonJMills

I am currently in the process of purchasing a property where the solicitor has asked for a certification of identity. On the form it states that the following persons are acceptable to certify a copy document: chartered accountant, solicitor, financial advisor, doctor or police officer. This has got me thinking as to why a chartered OHS practitioner is not on the list. Anyone know why this is the case or if this is something IOSH could work on to achieve? Thanks in advance for any comments greatfully received.
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2017 17:45:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

Historic practice based upon the presumption of a good character who should personally know the applicant.

These kind of aspects of law often fail to keep up with society (banks etc. closing, no more local bobbies on the beat, head/teachers travelling from three towns over) - all the people who would according to law have known you are no longer regular local acquaintances.

On the other side plenty of these identified "great & good" have of recent years been subject to headlines for miss-conduct or criminal act.

The practice certainly needs reviewing - adding iosh to the list may be a step too far.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2017 17:45:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

Historic practice based upon the presumption of a good character who should personally know the applicant.

These kind of aspects of law often fail to keep up with society (banks etc. closing, no more local bobbies on the beat, head/teachers travelling from three towns over) - all the people who would according to law have known you are no longer regular local acquaintances.

On the other side plenty of these identified "great & good" have of recent years been subject to headlines for miss-conduct or criminal act.

The practice certainly needs reviewing - adding iosh to the list may be a step too far.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2018 10:14:16(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I used to this (eg sign off passport photos) as I was classed as an “established civil servant” but having left that sector (for a better paid and more responsible job) I am no longer regarded as good enough to sign such paperwork.  Strange that.