Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidkr  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2018 16:24:20(UTC)
davidkr

I need to undertake an EMF Risk Assessment in a manufacturing environment that employs robotic and manual MIG welders. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to share their experience and methodology with this type of RA.

hilary  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2018 08:33:11(UTC)
hilary

We have a welding company that comes in and checks our electrical welders, gauges, hoses, etc on a six monthly basis.  We just asked them to come in and do a survey with us and tell us where the issues were.  When they did this we trained the staff (it was very simply moving the earthing cables so they did not create an EMF around the operator) and then wrote up the risk assessment.

I would suggest that if you have a maintenance organisation for this sort of thing, that you should employ them to do the same type of thing ours did.

Hope this helps.

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.
georgiaredmayne on 03/01/2018(UTC)
georgiaredmayne  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2018 08:50:29(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

I agree with what Hilary said. You should get someone in to carry out a survey on your premises to understand what levels you are at in terms of EMF that then becomes your basis for your risk assessment and will determine whether you need to put in place an action plan.

You will need to think about pregnant workers and those with medical devices which could be interfered with i.e. pacemakers etc. I dont have any experience with EMF in welding as I dealt with Air traffic management systems/equipment before but the rules are all the same. A competent person should undertake the survey.

I know of two companies who can carry out the survey for you but I am sure there are plenty of others out there:

https://aurorahp.co.uk/services/non-ionising-radiation-safety/

http://www.linkmicrotek.com/emf-safety