Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Campbell  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2018 15:15:34(UTC)
Brian Campbell

Hi folks, has anyone else heard that if you have a set of double fire doors and one of them needs replcaed, you have to replace both doors?  Even if one is perfectly fine and you can get an exact replacement to match!!

BC

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2018 08:20:53(UTC)
George_Young

while I do not know the answer or heard anything about it. but I guess it would make sense, 

I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that a fire door and frame was sold as a set. so my thinking is if one door was damaged then it will be best practice to replace both to ensure a better fit, etc

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2018 12:12:20(UTC)
RayRapp

Never heard of this and my bet it is a myth. True, doors sets normally come with the fire doors, however if the replacement door is the same and fits well then I see no issue with replacing just one door.

Some people have money to burn (apologies for the pun).

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 08/01/2018(UTC)
ml_2016  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2018 08:48:02(UTC)
ml_2016

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post

Never heard of this and my bet it is a myth. True, doors sets normally come with the fire doors, however if the replacement door is the same and fits well then I see no issue with replacing just one door.

Some people have money to burn (apologies for the pun).

Yes, I agree!

thanks 1 user thanked ml_2016 for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 08/01/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2018 16:28:42(UTC)
Hsquared14

As there is no such thing as "The Fire Door Regs" I think you can work it out for yourself.  Having said that fire doors are generally supplied and fitted as a pair to ensure that there is a perfect fit to the frame and a perfect union at the join.  So long as you can be certain that replacing just one will solve the issue and meet the other fire door requirements. 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2018 17:48:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

There are however The Construction Products Regulations 2013 where harmonised regional standards (European Norms) exist as opposed to the previous national Britsh Standards

e.g. EN 16034:2014

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2018 17:48:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

There are however The Construction Products Regulations 2013 where harmonised regional standards (European Norms) exist as opposed to the previous national Britsh Standards

e.g. EN 16034:2014