Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rg.iftime  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2018 10:19:34(UTC)
Rg.iftime

Hi there,

We have several remote locations (small office rooms rented from different organisations) and currently the staff working there are completing a monthly safety inspection of the area. The landlords conduct their inspections regularly. All staff working in these locations (usually one member of staff per location) are not trained on how to conduct safety inspections, they just follow a checklist. Would I be wrong in changing the procedure and having these work spaces inspected only twice a year and involve a member of our H&S department too?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

imwaldra  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2018 10:37:40(UTC)
imwaldra

I suggest the inspection frequency should be risk-based, also considering how fast things might change.

For a small office I'd expect significant hazards to be pretty minimal (i.e 'what's the worst that could realistically happen?') and also not to change much over time. For hazards/controls managed by your staff, i.e. within their office, a simple checklist should be fine. For others, e.g. building design & operating standards, even twice a year after an initial inspection might be too often? But you can judge that by extending the period and seeing what is identified. If nothing significant, then extend the interval a bit more.

thanks 1 user thanked imwaldra for this useful post.
Rg.iftime on 09/01/2018(UTC)
Rg.iftime  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2018 11:01:34(UTC)
Rg.iftime

thanks for your answer.

Yes, there are low risk offices and not used as much as the main offices. I have checked the inspection reports from last year and they haven't reported anything unsafe.

kmason83  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2018 11:46:01(UTC)
kmason83

I would agree to that reply to a point what you need to dois review your risk assessments & make a frequency of inspection judgement based on that, with so many remote locations breeding complancency by just lowering the frequency without any reason is not going to help so what I would suggest is getting some basic health and safety training to the staff in remote locations and run a few audit like checks with your health and safety professionals alongside the team  already doing the checks on site. 

Think about proactive measures as well and remember if you are in rented accomodation that is shared for example an office within a block of other offices or other industry then you all have that shared duty to consider.

thanks 1 user thanked kmason83 for this useful post.
Rg.iftime on 09/01/2018(UTC)