Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RayRB2014  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2018 09:07:47(UTC)
RayRB2014

Moring guys

I'm hoping one of the scaffold experts on here can help clear somthing up for me.

Quite often my on sites I see system scaffolds being used (mostly Cuplock) and quite often there is a need to bridge over a roof or similar structure which is simply done by the scaffolders using ladder bridge beams.

My issue is that I am of the opinion that these beams are non standard configurations and not mentioned in the copy of the SGB user manual I currently hold (but if I am honest I dont know how old this is)

This leads me to challenge the scaffold company for a design drawing etc for the scaffold and beams which most of them comply with and get on and produce a design.

However recently one particular scaffold company we use is adamant we do not need a design for this.

I wonder if any one on here could give a definitive answer as to who is right?

Derek Henderson  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2018 14:01:59(UTC)
Derek Henderson

Robert,

All scaffolds should come with a design, wether its a TG20 compliance design, engineers design drawing or system scaffolds own specific designs.

I would expect whatever system the scaffolders are using (SGB) will have a design for a "generic" bridged/beamed section.

I would say you are correct.......you should have a design.

Hope this helps.

Derek

thanks 1 user thanked Derek Henderson for this useful post.
RayRB2014 on 02/02/2018(UTC)
allanwood  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2018 16:05:08(UTC)
allanwood

If the use of the ladder beams is NOT covered in the manaufacturers manual you will need a design for the bridging section.

Allan

thanks 1 user thanked allanwood for this useful post.
RayRB2014 on 02/02/2018(UTC)