Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigpub  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2018 14:11:53(UTC)
bigpub

Is lead poisoning (over the required amounts in blood) reporteable under RIDDOR?

Elfin Davy 09  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2018 15:56:26(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

No, not RIDDOR reportable.  However, you need to investigate why this has happened with a view to reducing blood levels to below action levels.  If it transpires that lead levels can't be reduced, then you should prevent the person(s) from working with lead.  Usually, this sort of thing is discovered during health surveillance monitoring, and in most cases you would be guided by the medics conducting the tests.

bigpub  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2018 11:01:18(UTC)
bigpub

ok thanks as i thought. but i would have thought it was a dangerous occurrence

Elfin Davy 09  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2018 11:16:57(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Hi again - you obviously have an advantage because you know the circumstances relating to the lead exposure, whereas I don't, but - and strictly from a RIDDOR perspective - I wouldn't deem it a dangerous occurrence personally (unless of course you know something that I don't which may affect things). 

The only section of the RIDDOR Schedule 2 specified dangerous occurrences I can think of which might apply would be biological agents, but - from memory - lead isn't deemed a biological agent under COSHH. 

Therefore, still not RIDDOR reportable in my 'umble opinion.

MikeKelly  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2018 11:36:32(UTC)
MikeKelly

HI bigpub,

It's an interesting question for all sorts of reasons-RIDDOR requires certain diseases to be reported, REG 8, I think. Occupational diseases like HAVS, asthma and dermatitis etc.

There are also other diseases which give rise to industrial injuries benefits which include loads of diseases incl lead. This is a massive list reaching back to the early days of industry but is added to infrequently.

It lists the diseases and the work activities giving rise to them-say noise-if you don't fit the criteria then no benefits -and they're not generous either which no doubt doesn't surprise anyone.

And then there are public health reportable diseases-infectious, communicable etc

Some appear on more than one list too

Regards

​​​​​​​Mike

bigpub  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2018 13:05:43(UTC)
bigpub

Ok thanks folks. I have also found that Whoe body vibration WBVS is not reportable but HAVS is.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2018 13:09:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

In RIDDOR 1995 there was a requirement to report Lead Poisoning in Schedule 3-“Reportable diseases Part I- Occupational Diseases-Conditions Due To Substances Item 28.  Poisonings by any of the following: … (i) lead or one of its compounds;” but this has gone from RIDDOR 2013

Steve e ashton  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2018 08:41:45(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Just a caution here... May not be riddor reportable BUT.... It could be reported to the Executive by the appointed medical practitioner under Para 305c of the ACoP..... Although I'm not sure HSE have any medical people left these days to receive the reports? Just because you don't report doesn't mean they don't know!