Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JayPownall  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2018 13:47:50(UTC)
JayPownall

All

For those that may have missed this - an APPG has been set up looking specifically at Working at Height and the number of fatalities and serious injuries caused by such. They are seeking views and opinions on about 9 questions...

Link to the APPG page can be found here: https://workingatheight.info/

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2018 14:27:44(UTC)
RayRapp

Jay, are we supposed to complete the form in the text box (can't see anywhere else) or send a separate document? If the latter it seems a clumsy way of getting responses - surely survey monkey would produce more responses. 

JayPownall  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2018 14:46:19(UTC)
JayPownall

All responses can be submitted to the group via the dedicated email address. That text box is just for informal queries by all accounts - I made the same mistake! Could've been better designed I agree, I'm just sharing!
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2018 15:08:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2018 15:08:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:32:44(UTC)
peter gotch

Personally I am puzzled as to why this group has been set up.

Blurb states "Falls from height and falling objects from height account for the highest number of preventable fatalities and injuries across all sectors in UK industry".

Fatalities - not true. Fatal accidents possibly, but we don't have much confidence in how many people are killed in work related road traffic accidents.

Injuries - not true, except at the top of the severity spectrum.

Parliamentarians would be better directing their attention to occupational health risks than to a topic where there is not a lot to learn. Non compliance remains an issue, but then the level of fines has increased significantly, though the lack of resources available to enforcement means that enforcement is very limited.

There isn't even a comparable APPG on asbestos (except as regards falls through asbestos containing materials!) - nearest focus group would be "Respiratory Health" which of course also covers non-occupational risks.

Chair of the Working at Height APPG is the MP for Glasgow Central. While most of the 40 fatal accidents I have investigated have involved work at height, many at locations with postcodes starting with G, the death toll from asbestos both sides of the River Clyde has been MUCH, MUCH higher for decades. 

thanks 3 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
RayRapp on 01/02/2018(UTC), aud on 04/02/2018(UTC), Peterhigton on 06/02/2018(UTC)
peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2018 12:01:28(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi All

Thought I'd just bump message up.

If Parliament chooses to target an occupational H&S issue should be of interest to forum users, even if the result might be counter-productive.

P

peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 26 February 2018 11:45:52(UTC)
peter gotch

You've now only got a few working days left to respond to this!

Discovered yesterday that asbestos used to be on the agenda of the APPG on Occupational Safety and Health but this is no longer on the list of APPGs, i.e. seems to have been disbanded.

The APPG on Work at Height suggests an intent to make recommendations to HSE for changes to legislation, guidance etc to reduce the toll from falls from height and/or falling objects.

Given cuts, should HSE be concerned about this topic instead of e.g. occupational health risks, worker welfare and mental health?

Without your input there is a danger that HSE will be pressurised into refocusing its limited resources.