Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stillp  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2018 21:25:32(UTC)
stillp

Words fail me!

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/31/air-ambulance-told-move-landing-building-site-7276426/

johnwatt  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2018 22:02:09(UTC)
johnwatt

They should charge her under The Emergency Workers (Obstruction) Act.
thanks 2 users thanked johnwatt for this useful post.
stillp on 02/02/2018(UTC), paul.skyrme on 04/02/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2018 22:21:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Being a Persimmon employee she will obviously have a CSCS card and know absolutely everything about health & safety from her on-line test (Not!)

Anyone from Persimmon care to clarify which "health & safety rules" the air ambulance was breaching?

Edited by user 01 February 2018 22:22:53(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2018 22:21:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Being a Persimmon employee she will obviously have a CSCS card and know absolutely everything about health & safety from her on-line test (Not!)

Anyone from Persimmon care to clarify which "health & safety rules" the air ambulance was breaching?

Edited by user 01 February 2018 22:22:53(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

grim72  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2018 08:13:48(UTC)
grim72

That is absolutely shocking. I can't understand what goes through some people's heads. Staggering that her actions are being defended as the right thing to do by Persimmon too. Well done to those that helped and a huge thank you as always to the emergency services who have to put up with so much cr*p while simply trying to help save the lives of strangers.

chris42  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2018 09:17:08(UTC)
chris42

Unbelievable someone would do that, what a world.

If they are so concerned about safety they may want to consider the state of their site and the way things appear to be stacked.

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2018 09:18:47(UTC)
Hsquared14

That is totally undefensible - if Persimmon are defending her actions then they should be made to retract at once.  There is no obvious H&S reason why they shouldn't have landed and I can tell you that if that had happened on my site our people would have helped to move any obstructions out of the way.  The woman concerned should consider that she may be in need of the emergency services one day and she should hope that no one takes the same obstructive attitude as she did.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
stillp on 02/02/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2018 09:56:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The article describes her as a saleswoman. What was she doing on the site?  What has she got to do with her?  Note that most of the contestants on the Apprentice describe themselves as salespeople, which makes me wonder about the sort of person she is.

As to whether taking Health and Safety  in vain is a serious issue makes me wonder if the law should be changed to make it a criminal offence to  misappropriate the term Health and Safety regulations a bit like blasphemy. It should be made punishable by death by PowerPoint. The violator would be strapped into a chair and forced to watch presentations on risk assessment until their brains turn to liquid.

thanks 4 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 02/02/2018(UTC), Thomo on 05/02/2018(UTC), Adams29600 on 05/02/2018(UTC), lorna on 06/02/2018(UTC)
stillp  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2018 15:57:39(UTC)
stillp

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

until their brains turn to liquid.

I think their 'brains' are already liquid.
JohnW  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2018 17:12:58(UTC)
JohnW

I did read that the helicopter had blown loose materials around, so there was a hazard created. And the safety person had a bit of tidying up to do to make the site safe again.

stillp  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2018 17:25:23(UTC)
stillp

I wonder what they meant by "the landing area, which was a locked off area, contained hazardous materials that needed to be re-secured"? Were their workers exposed to these 'hazardous materials' before the ambulances landed?

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2018 21:02:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Builders Tea? so much tannin you forget the mug was white enough sugar to qualify for taxation and milk on the cusp of becoming yoghurt
Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2018 21:02:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Builders Tea? so much tannin you forget the mug was white enough sugar to qualify for taxation and milk on the cusp of becoming yoghurt
SpaceNinja  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2018 15:22:24(UTC)
SpaceNinja

“you can’t park there, who do you think you are?”

The air ambulance madam, clear off.

A Kurdziel  
#15 Posted : 05 February 2018 11:57:55(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Obviously the “saleswoman” had no idea how H&S laws work and assumed it authorised some jobsworth to throw their weight around. I have had similar situation when builders have block off pavements “for H&S reasons” without asking the local highways authority for permission. When asked did they have permission they said “Health and Safety at Work Act” as if that was it. The fact that it forced people to walk along a road (with no protected path) did not seem to sink in.