Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Magna Academy  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2018 09:17:58(UTC)
Magna Academy

Hi all,

I need some advice on spaces between exam desks.  Do the usual workspace regulations regarding area count with temporary desks and chairs?  I really need to be able to work out the maximum number of temporary desks I can safely have in an exam in a 180 square metre space (12x15 metres).  

Exam board regulations suggest that 1.25 metres between desks on all axis is the norm.  The space in question has 4 double door exits in each corner.

I think 130 (13 rows of 10 desks deep) is comfortable in that space and has adequate walkways either side of the exam desks.  im not keen on going for a higher number than that but with exam season bearing down on us the question has been asked and I would like to have a definitive guideline to work to.

Anyone?

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2018 10:03:17(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Why not run a drill half way through an exam just to test it!

Sorry, it’s Friday and my blood sugar is low.

This is nothing to do with the Workplace regs and everything to do with Fire Safety and of course this means a risk assessment on: how quickly can you get everybody out if there was a fire or other emergency?  A drill or walk through might even be a good idea but not during the exam!

Pkirbyesquire  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2018 10:41:19(UTC)
Pkirbyesquire

Hi

One of our halls is exactly that size and i put exactly that number of desks in for formal exams. Our exits are slightly different in that theres 2 in front and 2 behind the desks so that the students only have to cross half the hall to exit. The students are given clear instructions at the start of each exam, and to be fair to them, they are superb in the event of an evacuation.We've walked it a few times with different groups and its absolutely fine, never takes more that a minute to clear the hall. 

I'd say have a couple of dry runs and check but it seems to work for us

watcher  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2018 10:55:37(UTC)
watcher

Not sure that the Workplac Regs would be at all relevant,  They're not at work.

I would have expected the FRA to cover various uses of the hall and to work out capacities for different use.  I used to work in FE and that's what we did.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2018 11:10:18(UTC)
chris42

Are you both sure you don’t want to check your maths?

Guessing a desk / is say 750mm square and a seat will add say 600mm on one side. Also assuming the desks on the edges touch the walls on both sides.

You get  width 0.75m x 10 desks = 7.5m of desks out of a width of 12m, so that is 4.5m /9 spaces between 10 desks gives you 0.5m between the desks.

And length even more fun 0.75 +0.6m = 1.350m x 13 = 17.55m, but sadly your room is only 15m.

If of course your desks are significantly smaller (say a4 size) then it may work, but I would suggest if the guidance is 1.25m of space ( not including desk & chair space) and with 13 rows gives you 16.25m of just space length wise, before you put a desk and chair into the equation, with a room only 15m. 10x 1.25m is 12.5m of space in a 12m wide room.

Hope it is not a maths exam, sorry it is Friday and also low blood sugar and coffee deficiency due to lack of milk at the moment.

Sorry if I have mis interpreted the info, but it does not appear to make sense to me.

Pkirbyesquire  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2018 12:45:53(UTC)
Pkirbyesquire

I Understand your maths, however, Standard exam tables are much smaller (at least ours are) than your estimates and measurements are taken from the centre of the desk, not the edges. There is also less emphasis on the front to back spacing as the space between adjacent desks as theres much less likelihood of a candidate being able to see the paper of the person sat in front of them. This works as far as our exam board is concerned.

Not being the person that actually places and measures the desks, I cant vouch for the accuracy of the spacing but thats the system we go by

Jane Blunt  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2018 12:48:20(UTC)
Jane Blunt

I would echo what the previous post says. Exam desks are minute.

Kate  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2018 08:46:15(UTC)
Kate

Isn't the most compelling reason for spacing the desks out to prevent the candidates from looking at each other's work?

Having said that, a few years back I took an exam with the typical tiny, well spaced desks during which we evacuated as a result of a terrorist hoax.  The evacuation was prompt and orderly.  It does happen!

andrewjb1  
#9 Posted : 05 February 2018 16:58:38(UTC)
andrewjb1

I always use this document as a guide, its used by a few Fire and Rescue Services:

https://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/aspx/pages/protection/pdf/Calculating_Occupancy_assembly_buildings_GT.pdf