Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PeterBean  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2018 17:37:11(UTC)
PeterBean

The definition i.e. “Temporary works are the parts of a construction project that are needed to enable the permanent works to be built"

we have query on some works we are to do and the processes. the issue being what constitutes TW?

1.  Any fall arrest system operatives may use during installation
  2. Spider cranes – who determines the load and who checks
  3. MEWP’s
  4. Any temporary fixing arrangement is classed a temporary works
  5. Straps, chains and other lifting equipment

My own thoughts are that 2, 3 5 all fall under LOLER and the assciated lift plans so would not need a TWC appointing but would have similar checks on ground contitions etc

points 1 and 4 are practically the same  and undergo the usual checks, pre use and weekly,  and use propiety equipment. are the TW?

HSE website guidence talks about -Usually the TW are removed after use - eg access scaffolds, props, shoring, excavation support, falsework and formwork, etc.  Sometimes the TW is incorporated into the permanent works - eg haul road foundations and crane or piling platforms may be used for hardstanding or road foundations.

is the site PC  being to zealos in putitng LOLER items under the TW banner, insiiting theat TW procedures are listed out TWC are appointed etc

Shopland23872  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2018 20:48:41(UTC)
Shopland23872

You are quite right, none of those five things are classed as temporary works under CDM. I have experienced a similar scenario where I was told that portaloos were classed as temporary works because they would not be a permanent fixture at the end of the construction project????? I tried to explain that this was utter b######s but I was basically told.... "that is what our safety policy says". Sadly it would appear that your PC has seriously misunderstood TW requirements. You are right about shoring, crane pads, piling mats, walkways, scaffolds and site compounds etc. Some firms even include subsoil and topsoil piles in it too, which again isn't really necessary as that is actually classed as material storage (or waste storage if it is destined to go off site).
thanks 1 user thanked Shopland23872 for this useful post.
RayRapp on 06/02/2018(UTC)
Woolf13  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2018 13:05:20(UTC)
Woolf13

Temporary works (TW) are defined under BS 5975 as:

“Parts of the works that allows or enables construction of, protect, support or provide access to, the permanent works and which might or might not remain in place at the completion of the works”

TW is an “engineered solution” used to support or protect either an existing structure or the permanent works during construction, or to support an item of plant or equipment, or the vertical sides or side-slopes of an excavation during construction operations on site or to provide access.

It should be noted that TW, processes and controls apply not just to falsework and larger structural TW schemes, but must be applied equally rigorously to smaller items such as outrigger foundations, edge protection systems, signage and fencing.

As well as the more obvious example, the following items may need to be considered by the TW co-ordinator/manager:

• Structures – site accommodation, office gantries and temporary staircases
  • Hoardings, perimeter fencing and signage boards
  • Temporary roads, piling mats, ramps, bridges and barriers
  • Open excavations and rock cuts
  • Edge protection systems and their connections to the structure
  • Temporary anchor points, (for harnesses, winch points etc.)
  • Tower crane and mobile crane foundations and spreader pads (liaise with the Appointed Person for lifting)
  • Lifting and handling gear, cast in devices (liaise with the Appointed Person for lifting
  • Supports
  • Back-propping
  • Earthworks
  • Accesses, such as scaffolding etc.

Depending on the complexity depends on the design risk applied and to what level of TW competence you require etc., but you should demonstrate items have been considered as part of your TW risk register.

I hope this helps?

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
RayRapp on 06/02/2018(UTC)
damian2701  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2018 11:09:40(UTC)
damian2701

I'd visit the temporary works forum and download their publication on a clients guide to manage TW, the link illustrates an effective insight into TW along with duties of Temporary Works Co-ordinator, TW design and so on.....

https://www.twforum.org.uk/media/58911/twf2014.02_client_guide_26_january_2015_final.pdf