Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pearce20454  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2018 12:28:35(UTC)
Pearce20454

As part of a global organisation with warehousing / product handling activities supporting our core business we have invested over recent years in training, pedestrian / traffic separation, safety equipment on FLT's including blue spot warning lights, daily checks etc but are still having near miss and other incidents. Does anyone have any other innovative solutions to improving FLT safety and reducing incidents that they would be happy to share? Thanks in anticipation.

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2018 12:43:36(UTC)
George_Young

What type of incidents/near misses you having?

Does it involve vehciles & pedestrains, Is it vehcile collisions or coming into contact with fixed/statonary objects?

Regards

George

Pearce20454  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2018 12:53:44(UTC)
Pearce20454

Thanks George.

Primarily looking at vehicles and pedestrians but also contact with fixed / stationary objects; have also put speed limiters on trucks and used incident case studies to build awareness. While not sigificant incident numbers as a percentage of our total incidents the potential for serious injury and working to change our culture around forklift safety.

Kind regards

Roger

Adams29600  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2018 13:24:06(UTC)
Adams29600

We have speed limiters on the trucks. We also keep the body of the trucks painted so that any battle damage is immediately visible and require all impacts with other objects to be recorded as incidents for investigation. The main purpose of this is to identify where items such as racking are being damaged. Yes, they should be reporting it anywya, but....

I know of other organisations that have camera on the trucks which can be played back in the event of an incident or near miss.

JCBushell  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2018 13:35:21(UTC)
JCBushell

As mentioned in the previous post, I had 360 degree cameras installed on all of our trucks due to a variety of accidents occurring and constant damage to racking, speed doors etc. Since installing them a year or two ago, damage has reduced significantly and the operators (although deemed competent already) are operating the vehicles in a safer manner. Other huge benefit are in accident / incident investigations - invaluable piece of equipment. 

Edited by user 05 February 2018 13:37:26(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Thomas Baxter  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2018 14:43:07(UTC)
Thomas Baxter

Hi JC,

What camera system did you install? I'm interested in purely a damage limitation perspective.

Thom

pl53  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2018 14:55:20(UTC)
pl53

I would look at driver behaviour and maybe think about a safe behaviour observation scheme. Help to promote some ownership of safety among drivers and pedestrians.

JCBushell  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2018 15:15:43(UTC)
JCBushell

Originally Posted by: Thomas Baxter Go to Quoted Post

Hi JC,

What camera system did you install? I'm interested in purely a damage limitation perspective.

Thom

[PM Sent Thomas]
wolf1608  
#9 Posted : 05 February 2018 15:31:26(UTC)
wolf1608

Hi JC,

I am also interested in the camera system you installed.  We are looking for systems for our wheeled loading shovels.

Thanks,

Pearce20454  
#10 Posted : 05 February 2018 15:57:11(UTC)
Pearce20454

Thanks pl53, agree that behaviour and safety ownership is critical; we do have a system of behavioural observations in place and I have rolled out training based on 5 keys things for non-FLT drivers to be vigilant to but still embedding the culture of the behavioural observations. Will definitely have a month focused on observations of workplace transport movements though, thanks.

Hi JC, thanks for your response and interested in the cameras, system used etc. Are they just recording or is te driver able to see the all round images to assist their driving?

Sgallacher27  
#11 Posted : 05 February 2018 23:00:02(UTC)
Sgallacher27

Hi Pearce,

When I first started my current job, I immediately witnessed several employees working right next to an operating Forklift (usually chatting to the driver). I therefore rolled out a policy which prohibited anyone from being within 3m of an operating Forklift for any reason other than during one specific task for which it was deemed unavoidable - additional controls were in place for that task.

The rule is outlined to all staff primarily at induction stage for new staff but I also make the Forklift drivers aware that they are also responsible for ensuring people don't get too close. I give them information regarding why the rule is in place and so far everyone has agreed with it; that's probably just down to luck though! 

The rule is monitored by local supervisors/managers and any individuals being found to be breaking the rule are spoken to and reminded that breaking the rule is not tolerated (blah blah).

I'm not sure if your company already have something like this in place, however it can be a simple and effective solution if the staff buy in...which as always is the hard part!

Hope this helps.

JCBushell  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2018 07:12:09(UTC)
JCBushell

Hi Pearce,

The cameras are just recording the external environment and not used to aid the driver in any way. The recorders hold around 30 days worth of footage and I view the data via my computer when required. To be honest, we do not have many accidents relating to fork lift trucks, but it gives me the confidence that they will capture any incident when required. As mentioned earlier, the main benefit of the camera system so far is a dramatic reduction in damage. More than happy to PM you a link to the system we use.

Pearce20454  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2018 16:42:18(UTC)
Pearce20454

Thanks Sgallacher27 and JCBushell for the helpful input.

I will definitely look at establishing a personnel exclusion zone round operating forklifts, we already use extending tape barriers in some facilities where there are specific pinch points and most of our plants are pretty tight on space as the warehouse / storage areas are secondary to the actual processing operations. A similar approach is probably the perimeter detection devices that are on the market which we could look at too.

JCBushell - Your use of the 360 deg cameras makes absolute sense, I will send a PM with my contact details; might be an interesting internal discussion with the Workers Councils in Europe and how if fits with the new GDPR which is already causing some headaches.